Nux!

Home » Stella » General chat » Stella Installation (How to Install Stella Alongside Linux Mint)
Stella Installation [message #696] Thu, 29 November 2012 00:51 Go to next message
rbeltz48 is currently offline  rbeltz48
Have been using Ubuntu for almost 3 years and basically gave up on Canonical after Ubuntu 10.10, which I feel was the BEST version they ever produced. It has been all downhill since then in my view. I am now running Stella in live mode on my production machine, an IBM Thinkpad T61 laptop. I tried installing CentOS 6.3 alongside Linux Mint 13 on my test machine, an IBM Thinkpad T60. Told it to tale some space from the existing sd3 partition. All went along well until rebooting. Then I discovered that CentOS overwrote the boot loader record and the only choice was CentOS. Even though Mint was still on the drive it could not be accessed.

How does Stella handle installing on a multi-boot system? Does it offer the choice to "Install alongside other operating systems" as Ubuntu does? Stella shows a lot of promise! Thanks.
Re: Stella Installation [message #697 is a reply to message #696] Thu, 29 November 2012 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Hello,

I think Centos/Stella will recognise a Windows partition and add a menu entry for it, but not sure how it behaves with other distros.
The boot loader is always something you need to be careful with when you install additional OSes.

If you can paste us the contents of /boot/grub/grub.conf and the output of "fdisk -l" we can try to help.

Re: Stella Installation [message #698 is a reply to message #696] Thu, 29 November 2012 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your reply. I found the answer in Dedoimedo's Oct. 13 review of Stella. It appears that the distro has a screen asking you where to install the boot loader. The reviews I've read so far are basically positive.

I no longer use Windows and the direction of Microsoft if not good. Since Bill Gates left they have been going downhill. BTW, Bill Gates actually used Linux on his desktop when he was working at the company! Most people probably don't know this. He said the only reason MS continued to sell Windows is because it was a money maker. I do know that many people are tired of paying for software and continuous upgrades.

A few more questions:

1) How many people are on your development team and will you be able to support this distro?
2) Are you planning to bring out new releases based on the RHEL/CentOS release schedule?
3) What motivated you to start this project and stick with Gnome 2 in Stella?
4) What is your real name?

Thanks again.
Re: Stella Installation [message #699 is a reply to message #698] Thu, 29 November 2012 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

rbeltz48 wrote on Thu, 29 November 2012 12:13

1) How many people are on your development team and will you be able to support this distro?
2) Are you planning to bring out new releases based on the RHEL/CentOS release schedule?
3) What motivated you to start this project and stick with Gnome 2 in Stella?
4) What is your real name?

Hi,

1. It's basically me and Symbianflo who likes to help me around for some reason.
2. I do plan to put Stella 6 aside once RHEL 7 is out and build Stella 7 based on that + MATE desktop environment. It depends really; if EL7 comes out with MATE included and RPMFusion guys take EL seriously, then I might not build Stella 7 at all, there would be no need for it.
3. Gnome2 has been my DE of choice for many years now, it's hard to let it go. Stella was a byproduct of my efforts to build a repo that would not conflict with EPEL or overwrite the base OS (like Repoforge nad Atrpms sometimes do). I wanted to distribute Centos+EPEL+nux-dextop repos in one package for others to install, but I could not use the CentOS name due to some copyright issues... hence Stella. Stella is not a distro, is a remix, a rename.
4. Lucian. Nice to meet you!

Hope this answers your questions. Smile

Re: Stella Installation [message #700 is a reply to message #699] Thu, 29 November 2012 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's a quote from a July 6 article about RHEL 7.0, found at the ServerWatch website. I quote:

"On the desktop, RHEL 7 will also feature the GNOME 3 user experience, which will be new to RHEL users. "Gnome 3 is a huge change and we've done some exciting things there," Red Hat developer Jonathan Bandford said."

It sounds to me like Red Hat will be abandoning Gnome 2.X with their upcoming 7.0 which is supposed to be out in about a year.

Meanwhile, I am in a quandry about a replacement for Ubuntu 10.10:

1) Linux Mint with MATE OR
2) Stella OR
3) CentOS

I'm still testing. Thanks again for your reply.

Re: Stella Installation [message #701 is a reply to message #696] Fri, 30 November 2012 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
symbianflo is currently offline  symbianflo

Same old story , 4 ex. kde3 => kde4 and now Trinity toke the kde3 legacy towards, so I'm confident that gtk2 won't be gone for good, in a way or another ,
somebody will keep developing it.
Even before with ubuntu the largest gnome2 centric distro, the most active in developing gnome2 was RHEL/Fedora, Gentoo, mandriva, a.s.o and ubuntu was at
the end of the list , so IMO gnome2 is too hard to kill Very Happy
Greetings.

PS:
I'm more then agreed with Nuxulici , no gnome3 on stella-box Very Happy ( at least for another couple of years..)

4.Florin, likewise

[Updated on: Fri, 30 November 2012 12:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Stella Installation [message #702 is a reply to message #700] Fri, 30 November 2012 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Well, good luck with it whatever you choose. Smile

If you like Gnome2 I'd also have a look at SolusOS. Seems very nice.
Re: Stella Installation [message #704 is a reply to message #702] Fri, 30 November 2012 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks. I will do that. But Stella does perform very well in live testing with all the extra repositories available in software sources. This is a real plus for Stella!

Update: I tried the live version of SolusOS 1.2. It is buggy. The Menu froze up and would not let me access it. The time settings don't work properly. I set it for my time zone and the time in the location box showed the correct city but the time was 5 hrs. behind my time. Other things worked OK. I did light testing but it was enough that I eliminated it from my choices for a Ubuntu 10.10 replacement.

[Updated on: Fri, 30 November 2012 16:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Stella Installation [message #744 is a reply to message #704] Sun, 09 December 2012 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kwag is currently offline  kwag
rbeltz48 wrote on Fri, 30 November 2012 10:43

Update: I tried the live version of SolusOS 1.2. It is buggy.

Ditto!
Re: Stella Installation [message #1138 is a reply to message #696] Mon, 01 April 2013 04:57 Go to previous message
arkanabar is currently offline  arkanabar
Xfce uses GTK+ 2, and I'm pretty sure that LXDE does as well. I doubt XFCE plans to rebase to GTK+ 3, certainly not in 4.12. GTK+ 2 isn't going anywhere. With that and the Mint project supporting MATE, I'm pretty sure that MATE is also going to be around for quite some time.
Previous Topic: Stella 6.4 on iMac
Next Topic: almost fully using linux now...aside from a few msft
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 01 22:30:34 BST 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01177 seconds