Nux!

Home » Stella » General chat » almost fully using linux now...aside from a few msft
almost fully using linux now...aside from a few msft [message #1157] Tue, 02 April 2013 15:52 Go to next message
scarface899T
hello all...semi newbie linux user just wanted to see what i could do to find alternatives to some msft programs... suggestions appreciated

i am currently dual booting into msft for a few programs...didn't want to mess w/ wine or virtualbox

linux => everything is going great w/ stella/centos/red hat. fully stable and quite happy w/ the os

msft =>

quickbooks: yep, still using this...have't found an alternative yet... tried gnucash...but not stable

portableapps.com
foxit pdf: it's small, free, and has a "typewriter" editing function that I always need to fill out pdf forms and such. need a linux replacement (pdfedit is confusing and looks like gimp)

7zip: use it for encrypting files... (p7zip: haven't been able to get it working...don't know how or where to start)

so not too bad...i'll add more as i experiment w/ daily uses and see what i am missing. thank you all for any suggestions.

Re: almost fully using linux now...aside from a few msft [message #1159 is a reply to message #1157] Tue, 02 April 2013 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Hello,

If the PDF document is "form fillable" Evince should be able to do what you need... otherwise PDFedit or LibreOffice Draw. Also check out Xournal (it's in my repo).

[Updated on: Tue, 02 April 2013 22:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: almost fully using linux now...aside from a few msft [message #1161 is a reply to message #1157] Tue, 02 April 2013 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Actually on a second look Xournal is exactly what you need. You have a menu function called "Annotate PDF"; does what it says. Good luck.

Re: almost fully using linux now...aside from a few msft [message #1163 is a reply to message #1161] Wed, 03 April 2013 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fragadelic is currently offline  fragadelic
Have you tried SQL-Ledger for Linux?

http://www.sql-ledger.com/cgi-bin/nav.pl?page=about.html& ;title=About

I answered your p7zip question on the other thread you opened about it and looks like you have an answer for the pdf issue.
Re: almost fully using linux now...aside from a few msft [message #1164 is a reply to message #1157] Wed, 03 April 2013 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fragadelic is currently offline  fragadelic
You can also check here http://www.linuxalt.com/ for linux alternatives to windows software.
Re: almost fully using linux now...aside from a few msft [message #1168 is a reply to message #1164] Wed, 03 April 2013 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scarface899T
preface: please pardon the verbose questions, replies, and answers. these are not meant to show off or waste bandwidth, but to save for future linux newbies who wander into the thread, have the same questions, and are seeking the same answers. most of you here are linux gurus since this is not ubuntu/mint but centos desktops so hopefully it is useful for future references.

thank you !! thank you!! to the both of you

1) xournal is PERFECT!!! I love it!!! i didn't know it could annotate pdfs...thought it was just a note taking program so i didn't install it since stella already had a text editor.

(I try to keep my apps to the stock minimum just so I can manage it...sometimes i install software, can't find it, then don't know how to remove / delete it, and then worry it will conflict or corrupt the os...i know...a little ocd). thanks for that suggestion.

pdfedit: looks too confusing to me w/ all the vectors, rulers, and x/y numbers changing all over the place.

libre draw: i didn't want to install the huge office suite since i mostly use google drive/cloud documents...so 1 less thing to worry about.

sql-ledger: yes, i've looked at it, but it requires you to setup a web server...i'll pick my battles so i am not ready for that fight.

linuxalt: wonderful i didn't know that existed... i have been searching for individual software titles on ubuntu's forums for alterntives. linuxalt will be better listings...interesting that xournal was not listed.

bio human on stella chrome [message #1172 is a reply to message #1157] Sun, 07 April 2013 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scarface899T
all is good so far...found another thing i would like to use on stella/centos/redhat linux but not sure if possible.

i am fully updated & running i3 550, ati hd3450 but unable to run
chrome biohuman 3d anatomy software on chrome

https://www.biodigitalhuman.com/home/

"Looks like your computer doesn't support the 3D Graphics required by the Human. It's probably because it's built using WebGL, which requires a newer computer...etc"

any ideas why it won't run? does linux support webgl? tia
Re: bio human on stella chrome [message #1173 is a reply to message #1172] Sun, 07 April 2013 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
symbianflo is currently offline  symbianflo

scarface899T wrote on Sun, 07 April 2013 17:15
all is good so far...found another thing i would like to use on stella/centos/redhat linux but not sure if possible.

i am fully updated & running i3 550, ati hd3450 but unable to run
chrome biohuman 3d anatomy software on chrome

https://www.biodigitalhuman.com/home/

"Looks like your computer doesn't support the 3D Graphics required by the Human. It's probably because it's built using WebGL, which requires a newer computer...etc"

any ideas why it won't run? does linux support webgl? tia

Hi
have you try to activate gpu support on your browser?
https://www.biodigitalhuman.com/home/enabling-webgl.html
LE:
opps too late... I saw you are one of the unhappy owner of a ATi card... sorry.

[Updated on: Sun, 07 April 2013 19:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: almost fully using linux now...aside from a few msft [message #1174 is a reply to message #1157] Mon, 08 April 2013 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scarface899T
sybianflo, IT WORKS!!!! thank you!!!... i enabled the gpu acceleration but didn't find the link to enable webgl. now it works and it's a great 3d anatomy program.

thanks again symbian.
Re: almost fully using linux now...aside from a few msft [message #1175 is a reply to message #1174] Mon, 08 April 2013 11:37 Go to previous message
symbianflo is currently offline  symbianflo

great, you are lucky ... Laughing
Previous Topic: Stella Installation
Next Topic: replacing kernel in iso?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Nov 17 14:45:00 GMT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01468 seconds