Nux!

Home » Repos » Report a problem or request a package » ffmpeg update request
Re: ffmpeg update request [message #1296 is a reply to message #1295] Tue, 21 May 2013 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
symbianflo is currently offline  symbianflo

MrNice wrote on Tue, 21 May 2013 20:31
I installed and did a test.
Now audio is good.
cehoyos answer is:
Quote:
Then please use git bisect to find the change introducing the problem.

git bisect sometimes doesn't work well with FFmpeg, I will help you if necessary.

Keywords regression added
Priority changed from normal to important
Version changed from unspecified to git-master

We did a good step

LE:
Just wandering if he is not the best guy to find the change introducing the problem?

git bisect and other stuff is just klingon for me .... sorry I can not help you
if you give me a source and the configure parameters I might build it otherwise
sorry.
Re: ffmpeg update request [message #1297 is a reply to message #1295] Wed, 22 May 2013 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MrNice is currently offline  MrNice
Quote:
Changed 10 hours ago by cehoyos

The following configure line should significantly speed up build time and make the bisecting easier (this time tested):
./configure --disable-protocols --disable-decoders --disable-encoders --disable-demuxers --disable-muxers --disable-outdevs --disable-bsfs --disable-parsers --enable-protocol=file --enable-decoder=pcm_s16le --enable-encoder=pcm_s16le --enable-muxer=wav --disable-filters && make ffmpeg

Some versions will not link with above configure line, you will have to use ./configure && make ffmpeg for them.

Is that helpful?
If not what I have to ask him?

[Updated on: Wed, 22 May 2013 07:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: ffmpeg update request [message #1299 is a reply to message #1297] Wed, 22 May 2013 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

MrNice wrote on Wed, 22 May 2013 06:10
Quote:
Changed 10 hours ago by cehoyos

The following configure line should significantly speed up build time and make the bisecting easier (this time tested):
./configure --disable-protocols --disable-decoders --disable-encoders --disable-demuxers --disable-muxers --disable-outdevs --disable-bsfs --disable-parsers --enable-protocol=file --enable-decoder=pcm_s16le --enable-encoder=pcm_s16le --enable-muxer=wav --disable-filters && make ffmpeg

Some versions will not link with above configure line, you will have to use ./configure && make ffmpeg for them.

Is that helpful?
If not what I have to ask him?

That's ok , those are the configure parameters , now I need a source to apply this configure --%_parameters against , is the same git as before? Or other ?Or nevermind ,it can be applied to all sources?

And also
--enable-protocol=file
I need to know if is mandatory , because I don't know what he understand by "protocol", or if he can give some literature about this "protocol" option.

[Updated on: Wed, 22 May 2013 08:37]

Re: ffmpeg update request [message #1300 is a reply to message #926] Wed, 22 May 2013 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
Changed 20 minutes ago by cehoyos

I don't think this is something your packager can do for you (except if he also does the tests), and I don't understand the questions. (Did you tell him this is for a git bisect?)
You don't have to use the configure line I provided - the tests can also be done with ./configure && make - I only provided it to allow you to speed the bisect (significantly) up.
Re: ffmpeg update request [message #1301 is a reply to message #926] Wed, 22 May 2013 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
symbianflo,

Please could you read what I wrote to the developer and the answer. Do you think I can do this process without any issue to my config.
Can I do it in a virtual install?

However I know that the best way is when you do it but he wrote that you could not do it as you can't test the result (???).
I have another question for few hours: Why he can't run it and test it? I don't want to ask him as I don't want to hurt him. Do you understand?

Many thanks to any help.
Quote:
Changed 10 hours ago by MrNice

Mainly, I am only a user, even I have networking and database skills, this is useless in this case.
I use Stella (remix of Centos) and I never did a build/compile.

The guy in charge of build/package has lot a experience and is very quick in his answers, but he can't do the tests.
I copy/past the posts you wrote, so he knows this is for git bisect.

Now you told that the same should do the tests and the build/compile. I am ready to try but I need a step by step process and I don't want to crash my install.
I'll forward you answer to him.

comment:31 Changed 2 hours ago by cehoyos

The following assumes you have a toolchain installed (gcc and make) and git, when I write mplayer out.wav you can use any program to test if out.wav plays fine or with distortions.
You should not be administrator and you should not install any of the binaries you build.
Instead of ./configure && make ffmpeg you can use above (long) configure line which speeds up compilation very significantly, but will sometimes fail linking, then just run ./configure && make ffmpeg
Instead of make ffmpeg, you can always use make -j16 ffmpeg depending on how many CPUs you have.
First checkout the FFmpeg sources:

$ git clone git://source.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.git ffmpeg

Change into the FFmpeg directory:

$ cd ffmpeg

Compile current FFmpeg to verify the problem:

$ ./configure && make ffmpeg

Record:

$ ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -i hw:0,0 -y out.wav

Test for distortions:

$ mplayer out.wav

(You should hear distortions)
Start the bisect:

$ make distclean && git bisect bad

(Say yes)
Checkout the presumably working version:

$ git checkout f2f35d3

Build:

Record:

Test for distortions:

$ mplayer out.wav

(Should sound fine)
Tell git that it works:

$ make distclean && git bisect good

Now you start with the recursive process:

$ mplayer out.wav

If you hear distortions, you use:

$ make distclean && git bisect bad

If you did not hear distortions, tell git everything is fine:

$ make distclean && git bisect good

Unfortunately, git will sometimes try to let you test versions that do not contain FFmpeg, if git bisect skip does not help you, post here and I will support you.
Re: ffmpeg update request [message #1302 is a reply to message #926] Wed, 22 May 2013 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

If you will not install , so if you'll not run "make install" you can do it .
REMEMBER NO MAKE INSTALL WHAT SO EVER.
Run everything as user, an should be fine.

[Updated on: Wed, 22 May 2013 22:01]

Re: ffmpeg update request [message #1305 is a reply to message #926] Thu, 23 May 2013 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On the way, I'll let you know.
Re: ffmpeg update request [message #1306 is a reply to message #926] Fri, 24 May 2013 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Still working (hard) to fix the issue.

Is it possible to get an update to last release of the alsa driver?
Re: ffmpeg update request [message #1307 is a reply to message #1306] Fri, 24 May 2013 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

MrNice wrote on Fri, 24 May 2013 13:16
Still working (hard) to fix the issue.

Is it possible to get an update to last release of the alsa driver?

this is a kernel module ... so I really doubt it ...., but wait for Nux who knows...
Re: ffmpeg update request [message #1308 is a reply to message #926] Sat, 25 May 2013 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

MrNice, you could install kernel-ml from ElRepo if you want newer ALSA. I don't think there's a better way to do it.

Re: ffmpeg update request [message #1310 is a reply to message #926] Sun, 26 May 2013 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unfortunately I can't install kernel-ml as I run NVidia driver.

Re: ffmpeg update request [message #1311 is a reply to message #926] Mon, 27 May 2013 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Well, if you _must_ have working ffmpeg with newer alsa, you can install kernel-ml and kernel-ml-devel and install the nvidia driver the old fashioned way ... just make sure to add "nouveau.modeset=0 rdblacklist=nouveau" to your grub entry. Smile

Re: ffmpeg update request [message #1312 is a reply to message #926] Mon, 27 May 2013 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Actually, you could try this:

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Driver_Compilatio n

at your own risk etc.
Re: ffmpeg update request [message #1314 is a reply to message #926] Mon, 27 May 2013 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your advices.
First I'll see if this is absolutely, totally, fully, entirely, utterly vital and essential Wink
icon9.gif  Re: ffmpeg update request [message #1315 is a reply to message #926] Mon, 27 May 2013 21:26 Go to previous message

I have a bad feeling about this ... very bad.....
Mark my words... Rolling Eyes
Previous Topic: New Package
Next Topic: 4kdownload
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Nov 22 22:43:32 GMT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02437 seconds