Nux!

Home » Stella » General chat » RHEL 7 on the horizon (Desktops -- KDE and GNOME 3)
RHEL 7 on the horizon [message #1787] Mon, 16 June 2014 14:10 Go to next message
ongoto is currently offline  ongoto
Looking forward to Stella 7. Looks like we'll be choosing between KDE and GNOME 3 for a desktop. RHEL claims GNOME 3 Classic to be the default.
index.php?t=getfile&id=121&private=0
Source

Shouldn't be too bad?
  • Attachment: gnome3.png
    (Size: 466.62KB, Downloaded 3005 times)
Re: RHEL 7 on the horizon [message #1788 is a reply to message #1787] Tue, 17 June 2014 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Yes, Gnome Classic is pretty neat. I was thinking a lot of having MATE, but the more I use Gnome (Classic) the more I like it.
Re: RHEL 7 on the horizon [message #1789 is a reply to message #1788] Tue, 17 June 2014 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ongoto is currently offline  ongoto
nux wrote on Mon, 16 June 2014 16:12
Yes, Gnome Classic is pretty neat. I was thinking a lot of having MATE ...

That would be the bee's knees. Razz
If it's not a lot ot trouble, you could make it a 3rd optional DE.
I'd bet Stella 7 would move to the top of the charts!!

Either way it's all good with me. I think Gnome 3 is gradually growing on all of us.

[Updated on: Tue, 17 June 2014 03:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: RHEL 7 on the horizon [message #1795 is a reply to message #1789] Thu, 19 June 2014 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kleo is currently offline  kleo
I have tried RHEL 7 Beta with EPEL Beta repo,RHEL 7 rc with EPEL Beta repo and CentOS 7 prerelease with EPEL Beta repo and Nux-Dextop repo
with MATE Desktop from EPEL Beta.
At all three mentioned cases mouse right click on MATE desktop gives nothing!
If MATE remains as such then Gnome-classic is better option,at least for me.
Re: RHEL 7 on the horizon [message #1796 is a reply to message #1787] Thu, 19 June 2014 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clod is currently offline  clod
I would suggest adding a few gnome plugins by default that imo make the desktop experience better and closer to what gnome 2 was like.

1- https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/427/workspaces-to-doc k/ , workspaces to dock (possibly configured to autohide) makes switching desktops a breeze without having to dance around the screen to get to the switching dock or doing more clicks than necessary.

2- https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/4/panel-favorites/ , Frippery Panel Favorites , bring back favorites on the top bar, it mirrors what is listed in the applications dock.

3- https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/517/caffeine/, caffeine, it can be set to autostart with flash and with the icon hidden, it's an easy solution to stop the screensaver from starting when watching fullscreen flash content.

Related to n.3 but not extension I suggest for devilspie to be installed and configured by default to avoid issues with fullscreen flash as suggested here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/browser_plugins under "Fullscreen fix for GNOME 3" .
Re: RHEL 7 on the horizon [message #1797 is a reply to message #1787] Thu, 19 June 2014 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have a look at them.
I'm already using Panel favourites and also Topicons.
icon9.gif  Re: RHEL 7 on the horizon [message #1849 is a reply to message #1787] Sun, 13 July 2014 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WalterK is currently offline  WalterK
I downloaded Centos 7 x64 everything - it is no longer two dvds, but a huge download of 6.6gb that has to be burned to a dual layer dvd - and installed it on a test machine. I am not impressed. I really don't like Gnome3 and, in a step backward, you now cannot adjust your mouse speed and sensitivity - only the click speed. You cannot simply turn off the firewall as you could in 6.5 and earlier,you have to deselect everything in the menu - my servers are all on internal networks behind a network Untangle firewall and need to be open for my users to get to the data. There is still no samba setup support, the gui for that was dropped in RHEL/SL/CENTOS/STELLA 6 although 5 had it, so it still has to be added manually. One step forward, and two steps back. Back to 6.5 for now.
Re: RHEL 7 on the horizon [message #1850 is a reply to message #1787] Mon, 14 July 2014 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Walter,

Yes, there are a fair share of new things or changed things in 7, but whether we like it or not we need to be able to professionally deal with them (if you are in the IT sector that is, which you seem to).
Regarding the firewall, you can remove firewalld. There is no GUI for some things, but if you are uncomfortable with the command line you can give e.g. Webmin a try.
I am sure in time we'll come to think of these changes as less intrusive. Perhaps wait for 7.1?

For DE, check out MATE or XFCE.
Re: RHEL 7 on the horizon [message #1922 is a reply to message #1787] Wed, 23 July 2014 09:03 Go to previous message
sfara is currently offline  sfara
Would be nice to have MATE and full gnome 3 not just classic. Since stella is a desktop oriented OS it would be great to use all the desktop power to have a nice wm.

[Updated on: Wed, 23 July 2014 09:41]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: also new here
Next Topic: kernel-ml image
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 07 14:26:08 BST 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01000 seconds