Nux!

Home » Stella » Howtos, tips & tricks » How to avoid issues backup home (grsync)
How to avoid issues backup home [message #2525] Fri, 17 October 2014 15:21 Go to next message
detipco is currently offline  detipco
When backing up your home directory it`s good to add some options in grsync to avoid issues.

--exclude=tmp
--exclude=.config
--exclude=.local
--exclude=Downloads
--exclude=.icons
--exclude=.sane
Re: How to avoid issues backup home [message #2527 is a reply to message #2525] Fri, 17 October 2014 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
schotty is currently offline  schotty
I leave it all in, but my server has the space. I use my fileserver to handle pushing out said files to other machines. Poor/lazy man's roaming profile I suppose. Eventually I will have a proper setup. But I am not in the mood to setup static IPs everywhere. FreeIPA kinda hates DHCP Sad Just too lazy to find an alternate solution, mainly because I would have to cobble it together and deal with setting everything up with zero experience and troubleshooting talent.
Re: How to avoid issues backup home [message #2528 is a reply to message #2527] Fri, 17 October 2014 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It`s not problem of space.
For example I had many issues with the content of my /.local/share/gvfs-metadata by synchronizing and some other issues in the other folders.
Re: How to avoid issues backup home [message #2529 is a reply to message #2525] Fri, 17 October 2014 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Hm, .config and .local seem important to me (contain configurations). I'd back them up. In fact I'd back up everything in ~, perhaps except big files (iso, mp4 etc that I can re-download from the internet).
Re: How to avoid issues backup home [message #2531 is a reply to message #2529] Sat, 18 October 2014 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ongoto is currently offline  ongoto
-Stella6.5

I've had problems with grsync and dot files. I keep those big files on another partition and just link to them. My backups are $HOME, /root, /etc, MBR, and /boot.

I prefer rdiff-backup. I have some small scripts that run rdiff-backup twice a day with cron. Weekly scripts run rsync to copy the backups to an external drive. Like rsync, rdiff backups are incremental and scriptable and as small as can be. The big difference is the restore function, plus it's simple to recover individual files with cp -a or drag and drop. Includes/excludes can be kept in separate files. An include file would look something like...
/boot
/etc
/root
/home/user
- /**  <-- the -hyphen means exclude and /** means "every thing else".  An exclude file not needed in this case.

The syntax is similar to rsync but takes some getting used to. Once you get it set up, your backups happen quietly while you're doing other things.

fsarchiver is good for backing up the whole partition, but you have to run it from a live CD or from an OS on a different partition. I believe it will run from a script also.

grsync is still good for manual chores and mirroring.

@ detipco
Thanks for the heads up.
Cheers

[Updated on: Sat, 18 October 2014 06:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to avoid issues backup home [message #2534 is a reply to message #2529] Sat, 18 October 2014 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux wrote on Fri, 17 October 2014 23:13
Hm, .config and .local seem important to me (contain configurations). I'd back them up. In fact I'd back up everything in ~, perhaps except big files (iso, mp4 etc that I can re-download from the internet).

Those important files I`m backing up too.
My suggestion here is only by using grsync. Rsync is perfect in case of synchronizing files, but if you will only make a backup, it`s better to use other applications or you have to work with exceptions.
Re: How to avoid issues backup home [message #2539 is a reply to message #2534] Sat, 18 October 2014 10:46 Go to previous message
ongoto is currently offline  ongoto
Some folders that get really huge are:
.thumbnails
.cache
.macromedia
VirtualBox VMs
Excluding those too would keep the size of the backups down.

[Updated on: Sun, 19 October 2014 00:29]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Transfer configs to fresh installs
Next Topic: Stella6.5 gfxboot menu
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 25 19:32:59 BST 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01700 seconds