Nux!

Home » Stella » Howtos, tips & tricks » Securing Stella/CentOS Workstation (Deactivating server features to leave only workstation capabilities)
Securing Stella/CentOS Workstation [message #3469] Mon, 04 January 2016 11:16 Go to next message
accessgranted is currently offline  accessgranted
Hi, happy 2016 to all.

Security wise, I was wondering which services or programs I should disable --and how-- in a default Stella or/and CentOS install so as to remove any server capabilities in my children's computers!? The goal is to leave only workstation capabilities --say, like when one install Fedora workstation or Ubuntu for desktop.

Thanks.

A.G.

[Updated on: Mon, 04 January 2016 11:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Securing Stella/CentOS Workstation [message #3473 is a reply to message #3469] Mon, 04 January 2016 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Hello,

I use Stella on the desktop "as is", it's "optimised" for workstation, so to say.
Re: Securing Stella/CentOS Workstation [message #3474 is a reply to message #3473] Mon, 04 January 2016 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
accessgranted is currently offline  accessgranted
Hi Nux,

Ok, thanks. I suspected that would be the case Smile

Could you give me some pointers to go the same way with CentOS7?
Re: Securing Stella/CentOS Workstation [message #3475 is a reply to message #3469] Tue, 05 January 2016 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Just install CentOS from the Live media as it results in a desktop optimised - sort of - environment, then:
yum -y install epel-release
yum -y install http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/dextop/el7/x86_64/nux-dextop-release-0-5.el7.nux.noarch.rpm
yum -y groupinstall "MATE Desktop"

Voila, now you have Stella, but without the art work. Smile
Re: Securing Stella/CentOS Workstation [message #3673 is a reply to message #3475] Fri, 12 August 2016 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
francois is currently offline  francois
Hi Nux.
I did a clean install of CentOS 7, with the minimal ISO.
When I first booted, there was not even a network running.
I was able to find the info somewhere on how to enable it, and I was then able to apply the instructions you've given above.
Ok, so on the next reboot, I'm still at at console prompt.
It doesn't seem there is a X server available.
Do you know which groupinstall to add to get a GUI now?

Thanks much!

Best regards,
Fran├žois
Re: Securing Stella/CentOS Workstation [message #3675 is a reply to message #3673] Sun, 14 August 2016 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, found it:
sudo yum groupinstall "X Window System"
Afterwards, if you want the GUi starts at every boot you need to enter this command:
sudo systemctl set-default graphical.target
Re: Securing Stella/CentOS Workstation [message #3676 is a reply to message #3469] Mon, 15 August 2016 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Good man!

Usually for desktop use I use and recommend the CentOS Live media.
Re: Securing Stella/CentOS Workstation [message #3678 is a reply to message #3676] Mon, 15 August 2016 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I don't like the Gnome 3 and KDE desktop environments, and I wanted to have the least clutter possible on the hard disk.
It was a fun experience. (and I'm still using it)
However I use only the bottom panel and installed the mintmenu available on some repo. (Epel I think)

I don't see Chromium in the repos.
It's not available yet?

Regards,
Fran├žois
Re: Securing Stella/CentOS Workstation [message #3679 is a reply to message #3678] Mon, 15 August 2016 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWIW, I'm presently downloading Google Chrome's RPM from Google website.
Will see.

P.S. And sorry for somewhat hijacking the thread.... Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 15 August 2016 16:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Securing Stella/CentOS Workstation [message #3689 is a reply to message #3469] Tue, 23 August 2016 19:49 Go to previous message
Administrator

I do not package Chromium, but you can use Chrome if you must.
Previous Topic: local mirror
Next Topic: Wine up and running on CentOS7
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 25 23:06:32 BST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00836 seconds