Nux!

Home » Stella » Screenshots » Mate Supremacy : CentOS 7 To 7.1 (Mate Survived and doing great on CentOS 7 To 7.1)
Mate Supremacy : CentOS 7 To 7.1 [message #3358] Mon, 09 November 2015 21:22 Go to next message
Edge is currently offline  Edge
index.php?t=getfile&id=220&private=0

Hi Everyone,

I am using Mate with CentOs 7 a month after released as soon as read Mate can be installed in CentOS 7 from Fedora repo; removed all Gnome 3 programs. That was one time installation: it survived all the updates up to now CentOS 7.1 - rather say getting better and better: Ideal Desktop Indeed. If there wasn't Mate I am still using Stella/CentOS 6+. In my this machine Now: CentOS 7.1 (On-line), Stella 6.5 (Off-line: Multimedia work place mainly), Linux Mint with Cinnamon (Off-line: vmware work place - rarely open though).

index.php?t=getfile&id=221&private=0

Mate Menu taken with gtk-recordMyDesktop and then vlc Screenshot, looks little blurry in the picture. I am using same Desktop-Looks since CentOS 6.4. I update System twice a month: 2 or 3 times I got libs update late for 1 or 2 programs which got in few days - least problem I ever got with any DE. Hope I upload pictures to this post properly.

Thanks Everyone.
Re: Mate Supremacy : CentOS 7 To 7.1 [message #3361 is a reply to message #3358] Tue, 10 November 2015 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

nice Smile
Re: Mate Supremacy : CentOS 7 To 7.1 [message #3454 is a reply to message #3361] Mon, 28 December 2015 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
accessgranted is currently offline  accessgranted
Hi Edge,

Could you give a step-by-step description of how to install Mate on Centosx64?
Also, what do you mean by "removed all Gnome3 programs"? Does it mean you removed them voluntarily after Mate install, or did installing Mate remove those programs automatically? I'm quite satisfied with the programs I'm running by now, but I'd like to try Mate on CentOS.
Thanks in advance for your kind help.
Re: Mate Supremacy : CentOS 7 To 7.1 [message #3495 is a reply to message #3358] Fri, 15 January 2016 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry Actually,

EDIT: NOT "removed all Gnome 3 programs", BUT, most of the desktop applications that have alternative/preferred program.

[Updated on: Fri, 15 January 2016 18:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Mate Supremacy : CentOS 7 To 7.1 [message #3496 is a reply to message #3358] Fri, 15 January 2016 19:00 Go to previous message
Hi accessgranted,

Sorry for late reply, if you haven't done yet;

I followed step by step from:
http://jensd.be/125/linux/rhel/install-mate-or-xfce-on-cento s-7

there are few other Guild/How to on the web , but i find it simple, clean & the best and also included set up LightDM to be default. My Steps Were: i installed CentOS 7 64bit with gnome3 then installed Mate (and set LightDM as default) then reboot to test, after that uninstalled Gnome3 & its applications manually. then updated CentOS 7 (so i didn't had to update gnome3).

List of my uninstalled apps:

gnome-abrt
gnome-backgrounds
gnome-bluetooth
gnome-Clock
gnome-boxes
gnome-calculator
gnome-icon theme extra
gnome-Getting Started
gnome-icon theme
gnomecanvas widget
gnome-Disk Usage Analyzer
gnome-color-manager
gnome-contacts
gnome-dictionary
gnome-document manager
gnome-desktop
gnome-menus
gnome-online-accounts
gnome-packagekit --(i replaced it with Yum Extender - it works great/faster & smarter; in my experience of course)
gnome-python
gnome-screenshot
gnome-system-log
gnome-system-monitor
gnome-terminal
gnome-weather
gnome-user documentation
Totem --(i replaced it with SMPlayer and vlc always in my system)
Gedit --(i replaced it with Pluma)

And few others i can't remember now. you can install Mate's apps to replace all of those above. I replaced them because Mate alternatives are faster/use less resources etc + i don't like much Online thingies bundled with any application that not suppose to; for example gnome-online-accounts part of Totem - which was my default player on CentOS 6.

In addition, if you want to tweak CentOS 7 fonts:
https://priteshugrankar.wordpress.com/2014/09/10/tweaking-ce ntos-7-part-i/

if you want to colourize panel/menu a bit Install: "gnome-color-chooser" - a gnome2 tool.

Am! what else ? - if any more question feel free to ask. hope i haven't done much spell/typo mistake - i am kind of sleepy, still happy to check forum today.

Hope you'll enjoy Mate .....Edge

[Updated on: Fri, 15 January 2016 20:19]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Mate el7
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 23 21:46:26 BST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00504 seconds