Nux!

Home » Repos » Report a problem or request a package » Gnome-commander 1.8.0 (Updated package please)
Gnome-commander 1.8.0 [message #3972] Mon, 05 February 2018 13:37 Go to next message
Ken is currently offline  Ken
Gnome-commander 1.8.0 has been out for a while. I have not been following development as close I should and did not become aware of the new release until I was preparing to report a possible bug against 1.6.4 Embarrassed

I have built the package on CentOS 7.4 and it seems to run just fine. Some day I need to learn how to build an RPM package from a tarball. In the mean time if you would do your packaging magic, I would be honored to test your package prior to placing it in the production repository.

Thank you,

Ken Taylor
Clayton, North Carolina, USA
Re: Gnome-commander 1.8.0 [message #3973 is a reply to message #3972] Mon, 19 February 2018 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

I'm sorry, totally forgot about your package request.
I'll try to build a package and give you something to test!

Re: Gnome-commander 1.8.0 [message #3974 is a reply to message #3972] Mon, 19 February 2018 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Please give it a try and let me know if it works as expected.

http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/tmp/gnome-commander7/
Re: Gnome-commander 1.8.0 [message #3975 is a reply to message #3974] Tue, 20 February 2018 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you!!!

I have downloaded the package and I will do some testing today. I did manage to build an RPM package from the source tarball and I did get it to install. However, gnome-commander would not run. I have been working with Uwe to figure out what I did wrong. I will post the results of my testing of your package.

Thanks again,

Ken
Re: Gnome-commander 1.8.0 [message #3976 is a reply to message #3975] Thu, 22 February 2018 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello!

I have managed to do some installation testing of your new package. I will post my results below. I think there may be a couple of items which need to be cleaned up by the developer before moving forward. They are minor but I do not see the benefit in rolling out 1.8.0 only to follow in a few days with 1.8.1. Uwe Scholz is unavailable for a few days per his last email to me. I will document what I have seen and send it to him. I will let you know when he tells me that it is time to try again. Unless you can tell me what is wrong/how to fix it and I will pass that information to him as well.

The best news from a personal standpoint... I have finally managed to build my own RPM package from the source tarball Smile and I get the same issues when I install it as I get with your RPM Very Happy I guess I am doing something right!

Thank you again for your help.

Ken Taylor
-----------------------------
First test - on a newly installed CentOS 7.4 Gnome Desktop virtual machine

yum localinstall gnome-commander-1.8.0-3.el7.nux.x86_64.rpm

Error: Package: 4:gnome-commander-1.8.0-3.el7.nux.x86_64 (/gnome-commander-1.8.0-3.el7.nux.x86_64)
Requires: meld
Error: Package: 4:gnome-commander-1.8.0-3.el7.nux.x86_64 (/gnome-commander-1.8.0-3.el7.nux.x86_64)
Requires: libunique-1.0.so.0()(64bit)

These packages are available in epel. Add that repo and yum-plugin-priorities. Set Centos repos priority=1, epel repos priority=10. Try install of g-c again

Package Arch Version Repository Size
============================================================ ====================
Installing:
gnome-commander x86_64 4:1.8.0-3.el7.nux /gnome-commander-1.8.0-3.el7.nux.x86_64
16 M
Installing for dependencies:
ORBit2 x86_64 2.14.19-13.el7 base 176 k
gamin x86_64 0.1.10-16.el7 base 128 k
gnome-icon-theme-legacy noarch 3.12.0-1.el7 base 421 k
gnome-python2 x86_64 2.28.1-14.el7 base 47 k
gnome-python2-gnomevfs x86_64 2.28.1-14.el7 base 85 k
gnome-vfs2 x86_64 2.24.4-14.el7 base 839 k
gnome-vfs2-smb x86_64 2.24.4-14.el7 base 44 k
libIDL x86_64 0.8.14-8.el7 base 87 k
libart_lgpl x86_64 2.3.21-10.el7 base 67 k
libbonobo x86_64 2.32.1-7.el7 base 437 k
libbonoboui x86_64 2.24.5-7.el7 base 342 k
libgnome x86_64 2.32.1-9.el7 base 741 k
libgnomecanvas x86_64 2.30.3-8.el7 base 226 k
libgnomeui x86_64 2.24.5-8.el7 base 789 k
meld noarch 3.16.4-2.el7 epel 752 k
patch x86_64 2.7.1-8.el7 base 110 k
unique x86_64 1.1.6-10.el7 epel 55 k

Transaction Summary
============================================================ ====================
Install 1 Package (+17 Dependent packages)

Installed OK.

Here is the first run of the program:

[ken@vmCentOS7-gc-target ~]$ gnome-commander
Creating directory /home/ken/.gnome-commander...
** (gnome-commander:2870): CRITICAL **: void load_devices(const gchar*): assertion 'keyfile != NULL' failed

** (gnome-commander:2870): WARNING **: Failed to open file '/home/ken/.gnome-commander/gnome-commander.xml': No such file or directory

** (gnome-commander:2870): CRITICAL **: void load_fav_apps(const gchar*): assertion 'keyfile != NULL' failed
Creating directory /home/ken/.gnome-commander/plugins...

and the second:

Creating directory /home/ken/.gnome-commander...
** (gnome-commander:2870): CRITICAL **: void load_devices(const gchar*): assertion 'keyfile != NULL' failed

** (gnome-commander:2870): WARNING **: Failed to open file '/home/ken/.gnome-commander/gnome-commander.xml': No such file or directory

** (gnome-commander:2870): CRITICAL **: void load_fav_apps(const gchar*): assertion 'keyfile != NULL' failed
Creating directory /home/ken/.gnome-commander/plugins... [ken@vmCentOS7-gc-target ~]$ gnome-commander

** (gnome-commander:2888): CRITICAL **: void load_devices(const gchar*): assertion 'keyfile != NULL' failed

** (gnome-commander:2888): CRITICAL **: void load_fav_apps(const gchar*): assertion 'keyfile != NULL' failed

and the third and all subsequent runs:

** (gnome-commander:2907): CRITICAL **: void load_devices(const gchar*): assertion 'keyfile != NULL' failed

** (gnome-commander:2907): CRITICAL **: void load_fav_apps(const gchar*): assertion 'keyfile != NULL' failed
[ken@vmCentOS7-gc-target ~]$

Even though the errors are "CRITICALL", the only thing which I see that appears to be "wrong" is the text in the column headings and the "device" labels on the devices bar. The text is very small and I cannot find any place in Settings to change it.

The program seems to be functioning correctly. I can navigate around my file system, move, copy, delete files etc.

-----------------

For my next test I installed your package over g-c 1.6.4 which I had installed from your repo on my CentOS 7.4 Mate Desktop physical workstation. The installation produced no errors. However, when I attempted to launch g-c I received this message (and the program did not run).

[ken@taylor20 Desktop]$ gnome-commander

(gnome-commander:12474): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'org.gnome.gnome-commander.preferences.general' does not contain a key named 'save-cmdline-history-on-exit'

I ran:

glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas

and that fixed the problem. The program runs correctly so far as I can tell. My settings, preferences, devices, connections to remote servers etc. all carried across from 1.6.4. The column heading fonts looked fine - same as they were in 1.6.4.

---------------------

Interestingly, if I manually build and install g-c on a CentOS 7.4 Gnome Desktop virtual machine I get the same two "CRITICAL" errors, the font for the column headers is very small and I get this error complaining about a missing icon:

** (gnome-commander:16939): WARNING **: Couldn't load icon: Icon 'gnome-fs-ftp' not present in theme

Re: Gnome-commander 1.8.0 [message #3978 is a reply to message #3972] Mon, 26 February 2018 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Ok, thanks for testing. Ping me again when 1.8.1 is out.

Perhaps we need to bake " glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas" into the RPM at that stage.
Re: Gnome-commander 1.8.0 [message #3981 is a reply to message #3978] Mon, 12 March 2018 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello!

Gnome-commander 1.8.1 is available. I have been testing it and it seems to work fine. I have managed to convert the tarball into an RPM file after making one change to the .spec file. I also have a couple of other suggestions. I have been in communication with the program maintainer Herr Uwe Sholz. Unfortunately he has been very busy at work as his company prepares for the implementation of the EU "General Data Protection Regulation." Please allow me to take the liberty of stepping into the middle of things and requesting that you create an RPM for the nux repo. Here are my suggestions:

1 - On line 114 of the .spec file the string "{?_smp_mflags}" needs to be removed. Uwe provided me with this recommendation when I was having trouble doing an rpmbuild.
2 - As you have recommended before, please "bake 'glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas' into the RPM." I have had found it necessary to run this command after installing my 1.8.1 RPM on a CentOS 7 Mate desktop machine which has had a previous version of Gnome commander installed. In all cases this command seemed to do no harm even if it was not needed to allow Gnome commander to run.
3 - When I installed my RPM on a PURE Gnome 3 environment (e.g. a Gnome desktop from the CentOS everything DVD) I found that some icons were missing. This may be seen by starting g-c from the command line. The missing icons are used in the drop down list at the top left of each panel. I tracked down the missing icons to the package "gnome-icon-theme-legacy" which is available in the epel repo. I have recommended to Uve that this package be added as a dependency in the next version. I have not yet heard from him about this. I do not know if it is proper for you to add this package as a dependency. I leave that to your expertise.

If you would be kind enough to prepare a package I will be happy to test it before moving to the repo.

Thank you again,

Ken Taylor

Re: Gnome-commander 1.8.0 [message #3982 is a reply to message #3972] Tue, 13 March 2018 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Hi and thanks,

I've rebuilt the package from the Fedora Rawhide 1.8.1 SRPM, also adding the glib-compile-schema in %posttrans.
Seems to work here, can you please double check so I can add it to the main repo?

[Updated on: Tue, 13 March 2018 09:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Gnome-commander 1.8.0 [message #3983 is a reply to message #3972] Tue, 13 March 2018 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

A download link would come in handy, wouldn't it? Smile

http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/tmp/gnome-commander7/
Re: Gnome-commander 1.8.0 [message #3984 is a reply to message #3972] Tue, 13 March 2018 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good morning (from this side of the pond Smile

The gnome-commmander 1.8.1 package installs perfectly and gnome-commander starts and runs with no errors. The "missing" icons are no longer missing. I would say that the package is ready to move to the production repo.

Thanks you as always for your help.

Ken Taylor
Re: Gnome-commander 1.8.0 [message #3985 is a reply to message #3972] Tue, 13 March 2018 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Done, thanks for testing.
Re: Gnome-commander 1.8.0 [message #3986 is a reply to message #3985] Tue, 13 March 2018 15:42 Go to previous message
Thank YOU!

I just ran yum update on another one of my computers. g-c updated from the repo as expected. Everything seems good to go.

Ken
Previous Topic: [REQUEST] Updated Firefox
Next Topic: [Request] Update parcellite
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 25 21:26:53 BST 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01740 seconds