Nux!

Home » Stella » Report a problem or request a feature » Cellular Modem Support (where does it go?)
icon5.gif  Cellular Modem Support [message #407] Tue, 28 August 2012 23:51 Go to next message
BerryGoodman is currently offline  BerryGoodman
I use a Virgin Broadband2Go USB cellular modem to access the web and find in Stella (and also in Centos, Porteus, and a few other distros) the support seems to come and go. After installing to a flash drive and upon first boot, sometimes it appears under the networking icon and sometimes not. If it does, its a simple matter to follow the prompts and get online in less than a minute. If it does not, the flash drive portion of the modem show up on the desktop as a CDRW drive. It doesn't seem to matter whether or not I've installed it with persistence. If it works first boot, upon rebooting, its suddenly gone and shows me the CDRW drive on my desktop. Other distributions like Knoppix, Fuduntu, Mint always find the device and show it under the networking icon consistently, it always works with them. Anyone have a cellular modem and if so experience this issue?
Re: Cellular Modem Support [message #409 is a reply to message #407] Wed, 29 August 2012 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Hello Berry,

What happens when you unmount the CDRW? According to some similar issues the modem function should kick-in once the device is not used as a CD drive.
e.g.
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=632646
Re: Cellular Modem Support [message #414 is a reply to message #409] Thu, 30 August 2012 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An excellent suggestion! I've tried it before, but failed to allow time for it to unmount and initialize the modem. The key is to be patient while the modem initializes. Thanks so much! Thanks for the informative link too.
Re: Cellular Modem Support [message #415 is a reply to message #409] Thu, 30 August 2012 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I mis spoke, one has to eject the drive rather than unmount for the modem to initialize. I've tried it both ways several times and found unmounting did nothing.
Re: Cellular Modem Support [message #416 is a reply to message #407] Thu, 30 August 2012 06:57 Go to previous message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Right, so to conclude ejecting the device makes the modem work. Cool. Glad it works.

[Updated on: Thu, 30 August 2012 09:21]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Broadcom 4313 Stella/ EL6
Next Topic: xorg server crashes on video playback in stella 6.3 i386
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jan 28 01:10:36 GMT 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01724 seconds