Nux!

Home » Stella » Report a problem or request a feature » Refuse to start under Virtualbox (Refuse to start under Virtualbox)
Refuse to start under Virtualbox [message #4] Mon, 30 January 2012 18:39 Go to next message
cgherman is currently offline  cgherman
I use test11 and test12 i386 and after message Bottong in 10 sec .... no activity only Blue screen.

Sorry, I can't see any error....

Other livecd iso works fine.

System Virtualbox 4.1.8 / Sabayon 7 kernel 3.2 with md5sum for iso correct.
Re: Refuse to start under Virtualbox [message #5 is a reply to message #4] Mon, 30 January 2012 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Hi,

I know some BIOSes may have problems due to funny cylinder number, this is also a hybrid image maybe it matters, but have never had problems with virtual machines (I only have KVM for now). I'll test in Virtualbox asap.

Thanks for reporting! :)

[Updated on: Mon, 30 January 2012 21:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Refuse to start under Virtualbox [message #7 is a reply to message #5] Tue, 31 January 2012 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
symbianflo is currently offline  symbianflo

In vmware works nice
Re: Refuse to start under Virtualbox [message #8 is a reply to message #7] Tue, 31 January 2012 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
emmerich is currently offline  emmerich

Env:
VirtualBox 4.1.8 @ Fedora 16 x86_64 k: 3.2.1

I've tested Stella using this image Stella6.2_x86_64.TEST12.iso and it was blazing fast at boot and at install! Runs with no problem in live mode and same now after I've installed it.

Small problems encountered:

- no license file found after installation in the post-install step
- kdump hasn't started at boot and in the post-install steps it warned me again about that (it complained about insufficient memory on my 768 MB vm) Smile

The artwork is very-very nice, I really love the boot splash. But there is one little thing, at installation time there's the logo of Stella and the "/" and "x" are somewhat pixelated compared to the other characters; oh, and there are some white areas in the insides of some letters like "e" and such.

Other big pluses (plusses):

- it runs very fast even if in a small vm
- the choice of apps which are preinstalled is perfect; everything you need for a normal usage, no more, no less
- the looks are very nice polished/integrated, themes, wallpaper, bootsplash.

Once again, congrats and keep up the good work! Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 31 January 2012 20:54]

Re: Refuse to start under Virtualbox [message #9 is a reply to message #4] Tue, 31 January 2012 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Hehe, thanks emmerich!

Care to upload a picture with the pixelated stuff, if you can?

Wrt kdump: yes, anaconda apparently requires a certain amount of memory to properly configure it, i haven't had problems with hosts over 2 GB i think, maybe even less. It's sort of safe to ignore it, Centos/Scientificlinux will behave similarly.

Wrt the licence: yesh, that's an annoying one, I'll try to get it fixed in the next builds.

Re: Refuse to start under Virtualbox [message #10 is a reply to message #9] Tue, 31 January 2012 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Das pixels Smile) :

http://i.imgur.com/CaQt1.png
Re: Refuse to start under Virtualbox [message #11 is a reply to message #10] Tue, 31 January 2012 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Ahh, ok: the pixelisation is intended, it's just how the font is, so it's a Feature, not a bug! Smile

But you are right about the white zones ... those shouldn't be white. Will be fixed in TEST build 13... hopefully it'll be a lucky build. Smile

Thanks for the feedback!
Re: Refuse to start under Virtualbox [message #12 is a reply to message #11] Tue, 31 January 2012 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Haha!

No worries! 13 is lucky for me Very Happy

Anytime!
Re: Refuse to start under Virtualbox [message #21 is a reply to message #4] Wed, 01 February 2012 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Quick question: does your CPU support vt? Maybe it has something to do with that..
Re: Refuse to start under Virtualbox [message #66 is a reply to message #4] Sat, 04 February 2012 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cgherman is currently offline  cgherman
Nope:

I have Cre2Duo E4500 , Sabayon amd64

IntelĀ® Virtualization Technology (VT-x) No
Re: Refuse to start under Virtualbox [message #68 is a reply to message #4] Sun, 05 February 2012 08:53 Go to previous message
Administrator

Right, so it must be that then. Why not try the real Live media on your PC? Smile

[Updated on: Sun, 05 February 2012 10:32]

Next Topic: Ekiga
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Dec 11 12:15:45 GMT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01747 seconds