Nux!

Home » Stella » Howtos, tips & tricks » How to add user to sudoers file in Stella. (superuser privileges to user to perform administrative tasks that require root access.)
How to add user to sudoers file in Stella. [message #731] Fri, 07 December 2012 10:11 Go to next message
Haker Defo is currently offline  Haker Defo

You installed Stella and first thing you want to do is update Stella so you open terminal,
yum update

And you will get a message like this,
You need to be root to perform this command.

If you come from ubuntu background you will do,
sudo yum update

And you will see,
User is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

You can use 'su' and gain access to root shell prompt but this is not advisable and is considered unsafe practice. So what do you do? Well you need to add your user to the sudoers file and this is how you do it,
Click on 'System' menu on panel, go to 'Administration' & click 'Users and Groups'. This will open 'User Manager'
http://imageshack.us/a/img685/2899/usermanager001.th.png
Click on 'Users' tab & then click on your username. Clicking on your username will enable 'Properties' button on the toolbar. Clicking on 'Properties' will open a new dialogue box like this,
http://imageshack.us/a/img708/6092/userproperties002.th.png
Click the 'Groups' tab & select the check box for the wheel group & click 'OK'.
That's it! To check if it works go to terminal,
sudo yum update

Give your root password when prompted and that's it! You have added your user to the sodoers file! Cheers!

[Updated on: Fri, 07 December 2012 10:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to add user to sudoers file in Stella. [message #737 is a reply to message #731] Sat, 08 December 2012 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Well the purists & pundits out there might disagree with the above method to add the user to sudoers file but i think it is the easiest and the safest method for any linux newbie and those purists-pundits-geeks are free to use 'visudo' Razz
Re: How to add user to sudoers file in Stella. [message #738 is a reply to message #731] Sat, 08 December 2012 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Adding yourself to the "wheel" group will suffice, you don't need to use visudo or edit any files directly.

Re: How to add user to sudoers file in Stella. [message #741 is a reply to message #738] Sun, 09 December 2012 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
symbianflo is currently offline  symbianflo

nux wrote on Sat, 08 December 2012 19:02
Adding yourself to the "wheel" group will suffice, you don't need to use visudo or edit any files directly.

I still prefer the RIGHT way to do it ...meaning vi or mcedit , let's don't forget that, the first and most dangerous enemy of a linux box is it's own user .
I might be a "T-Rex" but ubuntu approach is too dangerous for my taste, it's a piece of cake to launch
sudo rm -fr /
, on a ubuntu -like machine
find it fired up....
So I advice the good, old, RIGHT_TO_DO approach, a newbe should not even know about sudo... IMO
Nux, especially you should remember how many help request from newbes that rat-pooped their systems because of improper use of sudo Very Happy
I would avoid this sort of tips about sudo, not everybody knows what he does by typing sudo...
Re: How to add user to sudoers file in Stella. [message #759 is a reply to message #741] Tue, 11 December 2012 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

We all agree to disagree Wink cheers!!!

[Updated on: Tue, 11 December 2012 09:45]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to add user to sudoers file in Stella. [message #767 is a reply to message #741] Tue, 11 December 2012 17:53 Go to previous message

I agree with you symbianflo when you say that careless use of sudo can break your system but i disagree with your view that a new user shoudn't have the sudo access. As Peter Parker once said "With great power
comes great responsibility. This is my
gift, my curse. Who am I? I'm sudoer." Wink Cheers!!!
Previous Topic: Live USB Key
Next Topic: Tips to improve speed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 17 18:00:56 BST 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.24340 seconds