Nux!

Home » Stella » General chat » Repositories
Repositories [message #31] Thu, 02 February 2012 18:55 Go to next message
saleem is currently offline  saleem
I would really appreciate if you paste here all the repositories you recommend to be used on stella and those addtional ones which we can add safely .

I installed yumex on livecd , im still playing around with stella as live to test it more and noticed that yumex shows some more repos which are yet not enabled but seem/look interesting so if you paste them as i requested it will be very helpful.

One minor feedback. my nvidia gt240 card doesnt work with nouveau driver so i have to boot stella with a nomodeset cheat code on grub line, is it possible that you make non-free drivers avilable also and how to install them.

I am considering to install Stella on all our computers in our college computer lab and i was looking for a RHEL based distro with addons for desktop use and Stella seems to be the best available distro at moment so I wanna probe it more to judge if it will do the job for this task or not which I am sure it will.

regards,
Re: Repositories [message #39 is a reply to message #31] Thu, 02 February 2012 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Hi,

First and foremost, while Stella seems stable and usable it is still very much work in progress. Sure, from what it is now it won't change much, we're bound to our RHEL/EL/Centos roots, but still, just keep this in mind. That's why we still name it with "TEST". Smile

Now let's get back to your questions:

1. yum install kmod-nvidia <- this will install the proprietary driver, but you might need to reboot for the new driver to work.. so you need to install it on harddisk. The Nvidia driver is curtoasy of the Elrepo project.

2. The included repos - if you do a `rpm -qa|grep release` you will see something like this:

centos-release-cr-6-0.el6.centos.x86_64 <- the centos continuous release repos - http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/CR
stella-release-6-2.el6.nux.7.x86_64 <- stella core repos, providing the repo files for the core stuff (mainly artwork and some settings) - http://li.nux.ro/download/stella/6/x86_64/
nux-libreoffice-release-0-2.el6.nux.noarch <- my repo that provides libreoffice, I also contribute these packages to the centos-testing repo
adobe-release-x86_64-1.0-1.noarch <- adobe's own repo, i use it for flash, that's the only thing i include from them
epel-release-6-5.noarch <- fedora's epel, no further explanation required
elrepo-release-6-4.el6.elrepo.noarch <- elrepo, they provide a LOT of extra drivers for EL6, including nvidia and ATI drivers
nux-dextop-release-0-2.el6.nux.noarch <- my own repo providing a lot of multimedia and desktop related packages.

I try hard to make the above play well together and not cause any conflicts or other problems. Having said that I really cannot recommend any other repos, you will most likely run into troubles when updating, installing etc.

The behaviour that I encourage is to come on the forums and ask for a package when you can't find it with yum.

Also, a small tip: if you add yourself to the wheel group you will be able to use "sudo" and also you will be able to freely use pkcon command as regular user to install and update software - or use the graphical frontends found in Sstem -> Administration > Add/remove software and Software Update.

Other than this, going to Centos from Stella should be trivial, also viceversa, should the need arise. I will test and document this, too at some point.
If you want, you can use vanilla Centos and just add the repos that Stella includes, should give you the same functionality, more or less.

I will need to set up a small FAQ with all this info, other persons might need it..

[Updated on: Thu, 02 February 2012 23:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Repositories [message #40 is a reply to message #31] Thu, 02 February 2012 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Also, symbian - my friend who helps around with forum and packaging - has a separate repo for testing that can include various stuff like multimedia or games:
http://mrb.mandrivausers.ro/MRB/stella/

Probably the goodies from there will end up at some point in nux-dextop, who knows.

Re: Repositories [message #60 is a reply to message #40] Sat, 04 February 2012 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saleem is currently offline  saleem
Hi again,

can I add or get some packages whenever i need from rpm fusion repository?? just curious

I will paste two other info also here

1 ) nvidia non-free driver will not work properly ( no X ) unless I added "nomodeset" command to the grub line

2) this is a very useful command i often use

http://saleem-khan.blogspot.com/2011/09/all-gstreamer-plugin s-on-fuduntu.html

3) Have you looked at the Fuduntu repos? they come up with many good packages, just a suggestion to have a look at its repos

regards,
Re: Repositories [message #61 is a reply to message #31] Sat, 04 February 2012 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Hi Saleem,

1. I use the kmod-nvidia on some of the computers at work and they have nvidia cards; the RPM automatically adds "nouveau.modeset=0 rdblacklist=nouveau" to the grub command line in /boot/grub/menu.lst. This is what I have installed:
[root@localhost ~]# rpm -qa|grep -i nvidia
nvidia-x11-drv-290.10-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64
nvidia-x11-drv-32bit-290.10-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64
kmod-nvidia-290.10-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64

2. yum install @sound-and-video gst\*{bad,ras} <- this should also work on Stella, but won't install much, most of the plugins/codecs are already installed.

3. Regarding fuduntu, well, since they base off Fedora they have lots of packages, plus they add their own. Though Stella and Fuduntu have different audiences, imho. I prefer to have a smaller but more stable package base.
Re: Repositories [message #269 is a reply to message #40] Mon, 16 April 2012 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
happywizard is currently offline  happywizard
Hi Nux,

that is an interesting repository. I tried to find docky or AWN dock but could not find them in any repository. This one has however cairo-dock.

Here is the problem when trying to activate the repository. (By the way, the user is part of the wheel group.)

1) copied the symbianflo.repo file from his repository to the /etc/yum.repos.d on the PC
2) with the rpm command I imported the gpg key
3) in add/remove software I tried to activate this new repository source which failed without a message
4) in yumex I tried to do the same and it did not work either, but it told me that it cannot find the repodata folder or some xml file containing it.
Both the repodata folder exists and the requested file in it as well in symbianflo's repository.
5) I tried to add in the sybianflo.repo file in the path "/i686" in the hope yumex would find the repodata folder. Did not work either.

Any ideas why I can not activate the repository?

thanks for any help.
Re: Repositories [message #270 is a reply to message #269] Mon, 16 April 2012 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PS: I forgot to mention in step 3 and 4: the repository is listed, but cannot seem to be activated.
Re: Repositories [message #271 is a reply to message #31] Tue, 17 April 2012 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Hi,

Best thing to do is try to do all that from command line, otherwise getting any meaningful errors will be hard.

Re: Repositories [message #272 is a reply to message #271] Tue, 17 April 2012 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What commands would I have to use? Would I also have to revert the previous steps?
Re: Repositories [message #273 is a reply to message #31] Wed, 18 April 2012 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Happywizard,

Just open up a terminal and in it write:
yum repolist

The results should look like:
repo id                                                                   repo name                                                                                                     status
adobe-linux-x86_64                                                        Adobe Systems Incorporated                                                                                        2
base                                                                      CentOS-6 - Base                                                                                               6,294
elrepo                                                                    ELRepo.org Community Enterprise Linux Repository - el6                                                          190
epel                                                                      Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 6 - x86_64                                                                7,205
extras                                                                    CentOS-6 - Extras                                                                                                 4
google-chrome                                                             google-chrome                                                                                                     3
nux-dextop                                                                Nux.Ro RPMs for general desktop use                                                                             723
nux-libreoffice                                                           Nux.Ro EL6 RPMs for LibreOffice                                                                                 255
nux-opera                                                                 Official Opera packages put in a yum friendly format                                                              3
skype                                                                     Skype Repository                                                                                                  1
updates                                                                   CentOS-6 - Updates                                                                                              729
repolist: 15,409

If symbianflo's name appears there, then the repo is active.

[Updated on: Wed, 18 April 2012 07:04]

Re: Repositories [message #274 is a reply to message #273] Wed, 18 April 2012 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, I have now more information.

I did the yum repolist command and it lists the usual pre-configured repositories. When it looks for the symbianflo repository, then it gives the following error:

http://mrb.mandrivausers.ro/MRB/stella/i386/repodata/repomd. xml [ERROR 14] PYCURLERROR 22 - "The requested url returned error: 404"

This makes sense since there is no/stella/i386 folder, but a stella/i686 folder on their server.

The file symbianflo.repo does not specify in the path the i386 folder, so I wonder where yum reads this? Where could be the wrong specification on their server?
Re: Repositories [message #275 is a reply to message #31] Wed, 18 April 2012 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Hi,

Well, that's an easy one, if you look in the symbian.repo file you will notice that the baseurl looks like this:
baseurl=http://mrb.mandrivausers.ro/MRB/stella/$basearch/

What happnens is that Yum automatically sends i386 instead of $basearch. To fix the problem quickly you can edit that repo file and change $basearch with i686.
I will talk to Symbianflo to make a symlink "i386" so everybody will get the "fix".

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Re: Repositories [message #276 is a reply to message #31] Wed, 18 April 2012 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great, that did it. Thanks! Smile
Re: Repositories [message #277 is a reply to message #31] Thu, 19 April 2012 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
symbianflo is currently offline  symbianflo

Ok should work , I've created a symlink, i386 but if your CPU does not support i686 SSE like instructions,
you'll not be able to run most of my portings ...so pentium2 or newer .
Re: Repositories [message #278 is a reply to message #31] Thu, 19 April 2012 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Symbian, I think the i386 thing is mostly a legacy thing at RedHat. He should be fine.

[Updated on: Thu, 19 April 2012 12:16]

Re: Repositories [message #279 is a reply to message #278] Thu, 19 April 2012 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Nux wrote on Thu, 19 April 2012 11:16
Symbian, I think the i386 thing is mostly a legacy thing at RedHat. He should be fine.

I really have no clue about rhel legacy , but multimedia apps and games on 386 I'm ashame of my self to build such thing...
( so you tell me that rhel legacy policy is the same as in the "blonde-for-distro" ??? )

---OT---

I really don't understand those who have machines 64 bit capable but they install ix86 distribution...
I'm not pointing the finger here , I'm just curious .
Re: Repositories [message #280 is a reply to message #31] Thu, 19 April 2012 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Symnbianflo,

I'm saying that the name of the directory is i386 for legacy reasons, but the packages I believe are i686.

Re: Repositories [message #281 is a reply to message #280] Fri, 20 April 2012 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just to chip in here...

I put Stella on my wife's 4 year old Toshiba A210 notebook. It has dual core 64 bit AMD CPUs and 3 Gb RAM. I put on the 32 bit version of Stella as it does not have any performance loss and some 32 bit only applications would work fine. For example Skype is running fine on 32 bit but needed more work on 64 bit OS. In this case, whatever works out of the box or via simple rpm/yum install safes me time. Stella is very stable and responsive. Great.

The cairo dock from Symbianflo's repository works well. Thanks!

By the way, for other notebooks with the Broadcom wl cards (like the BCM4321 found in various HP models) it would be great, if the wl sta driver for it could be included/configured in a future Stella release. It is otherwise requiring quite a few steps to get it going. It would be just a nice convenience for quite a number of potential users, I guess. Smile
Re: Repositories [message #282 is a reply to message #31] Fri, 20 April 2012 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Happywizard,

Glad to hear that.
FYI though:
1. Skype is now included in the nux-dextop repo, so it should just work also on 64bit repos, but maybe going 32bit isn't a bad idea after all, who knows how Skype will develop in the future now that is Microsoft owned.
2. The Stella installation you use does include kmod-wl which should provide you with a driver for that Broadcom, but apparently it's very buggy. I do want to find a solution for people using this chips, but the fact I don't own a laptop with this device isn't helping much.. It's on my list though.
Re: Repositories [message #283 is a reply to message #282] Fri, 20 April 2012 11:41 Go to previous message

on Rosa they have a broadcom-wl , but it's a dkms , and I have HP with broadcom , so Nux ( aka=za boss) if YOU whant to try a porting of this dkms
I can test it , that works perfect on my Rosa machine, if I would know something about the linux user space on stella , I would do it , but
I ain't , and you know better your kernels && modules.

[Updated on: Fri, 20 April 2012 11:43]

Previous Topic: Stella repositories on CentOS 6.2
Next Topic: Stell Final Release Date
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 06 02:08:39 BST 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02102 seconds