Nux!

Home » Stella » Howtos, tips & tricks » NVidia driver howto
NVidia driver howto [message #488] Sun, 14 October 2012 10:01 Go to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Installing the NVidia driver on Stella is very easy because of the included Elrepo repository. What one needs to do is to run the following commands (as root):

yum install kmod-nvidia
↑ this installs the driver itself and takes care of dealing with the open source driver so there are no conflicts; this bit can take a while, don't interrupt
nvidia-xconfig
↑ this generates a basic X11 config file that uses the nvidia driver
reboot

Voilà!

One issue that you will encounter with the proprietary driver is that the Stella splash screen (the plymouth theme) will stop working. To address this issue edit the /boot/grub/grub.conf file and append to the top-most vmlinuz line the following string: vga=791

In the end the line should look something like (don't copy/paste from here, this is just an example!):
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32-279.5.2.el6.x86_64 ro root=/dev/mapper/vg_laptop-sysroot rd_LVM_LV=vg_laptop/sysroot  KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=uk LANG=en_US.UTF-8 rd_NO_MD quiet SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 rd_LUKS_UUID=luks-764fc450-764a-476a-ac96-183a5dd7cc06 rhgb rd_LVM_LV=vg_laptop/sysswap rd_NO_DM crashkernel=auto vga=791

[Updated on: Sun, 14 October 2012 10:03]

Report message to a moderator

icon14.gif  Re: NVidia driver howto [message #489 is a reply to message #488] Sun, 14 October 2012 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian is currently offline  Adrian
Work fine!
Re: NVidia driver howto [message #845 is a reply to message #489] Wed, 26 December 2012 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MrNice is currently offline  MrNice
FYI,

If your driver has the same behaviour than have mine.
If you add a wrong value for vga= you will get a message:

Undefined video mode number: hhh
Press <ENTER> to see video modes available, <SPACE> to continue, or wait 30 sec

So, press ENTER and write a right value.
You can later add this value in grub.conf like 0xhhh as this is an hexa value.

Hope this will help.
Re: NVidia driver howto [message #2233 is a reply to message #488] Sun, 17 August 2014 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pretender is currently offline  pretender
nux wrote on Sun, 14 October 2012 12:01
Installing the NVidia driver on Stella is very easy because of the included Elrepo repository. What one needs to do is to run the following commands (as root):

yum install kmod-nvidia
↑ this installs the driver itself and takes care of dealing with the open source driver so there are no conflicts; this bit can take a while, don't interrupt
nvidia-xconfig
↑ this generates a basic X11 config file that uses the nvidia driver
reboot

Voilà!

I followed your intruction and installed nvidia driver,did nothing else.
After reboot my system won't run,just show me on monitor in right corner at bottom Stella 6.5 and a 'panel' blue who became white...and that's all!
Now i'm wrighting this post on liveCD sesion.
Please help me,I won't to reinstall Stella again!
Re: NVidia driver howto [message #2235 is a reply to message #488] Sun, 17 August 2014 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Hi,

When you boot, get in single user mode[1] and do:
yum remove kmod-nvidia
rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Then reboot, it will boot without the nvidia driver and special configuration. If you have an older Nvidia card it may be you need a different driver. Install "nvidia-detect" and run it once you have a functional system again, it will tell you which package to install for you GPU.

[1] - https://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Installation_Guide/s1 -rescuemode-booting-single.html
Re: NVidia driver howto [message #2236 is a reply to message #2235] Mon, 18 August 2014 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux wrote on Mon, 18 August 2014 01:55
Hi,

When you boot, get in single user mode[1] and do:
yum remove kmod-nvidia
rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Then reboot, it will boot without the nvidia driver and special configuration. If you have an older Nvidia card it may be you need a different driver. Install "nvidia-detect" and run it once you have a functional system again, it will tell you which package to install for you GPU.

[1] - https://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Installation_Guide/s1 -rescuemode-booting-single.html

You mean I should open a terminal in boot?
I have 2 linux OS installed in my comp and when I power my comp I'm asked to choose between them,I don't know how can i open a terminal if I choose Stella !?!
At Stella I'm asked to choose from 3 options, each one don't start my Stella.
So I please you how can I open a terminal?
Re: NVidia driver howto [message #2237 is a reply to message #488] Mon, 18 August 2014 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Well, you need to get in Stella's single user mode.

See if any of these are helping you
https://www.google.fr/search?q=centos+6++single+user+mode&am p;btnG=Search&client=firefox-a&hs=z7V&rls=org.mo zilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&tbm=vid&gws_rd=cr
Re: NVidia driver howto [message #2240 is a reply to message #2237] Mon, 18 August 2014 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux wrote on Mon, 18 August 2014 02:16
Well, you need to get in Stella's single user mode.

See if any of these are helping you
https://www.google.fr/search?q=centos+6++single+user+mode&am p;am p;am p;btnG=Search&client=firefox-a&hs=z7V&rls=org.mo zilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&tbm=vid&gws_rd=cr

Thanks Smile the link from Youtube din't help,I can't understend wich key should I press for a root terminal.
I will wait anothers suggestions.
Best regards Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 18 August 2014 10:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: NVidia driver howto [message #2242 is a reply to message #488] Mon, 18 August 2014 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

So, at grub screen, choose the kernel you want to boot with the arrow keys, then type "e" for edit to edit it. In the next screen go on the vmlinuz line, press "e" and at the end of the like add "1" or "single".
Press enter then "b" for boot.

Re: NVidia driver howto [message #2257 is a reply to message #2242] Fri, 22 August 2014 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux wrote on Mon, 18 August 2014 13:21
So, at grub screen, choose the kernel you want to boot with the arrow keys, then type "e" for edit to edit it. In the next screen go on the vmlinuz line, press "e" and at the end of the like add "1" or "single".
Press enter then "b" for boot.

I'm gived up myself...
I'll install Stell 64bit and no more i'll install nvidia driver from terminal,just from Synaptic.
Best regards Smile
Re: NVidia driver howto [message #2259 is a reply to message #488] Fri, 22 August 2014 12:20 Go to previous message
Administrator

First install nvidia-detect and run it, it will tell you what package to install, otherwise you risk ending up with the same problem.
Previous Topic: Gnome 3
Next Topic: numlock
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 21 17:48:40 GMT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01342 seconds