Nux!

Home » Stella » General chat » Stella Public Web Kiosk
Re: Stella Public Web Kiosk [message #663 is a reply to message #512] Mon, 12 November 2012 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Try this:
gconftool-2 --direct --config-source=xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults -s -t "string" /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename /path/to/wallpaper.png

The above changes the default, system-wide setting.
Re: Stella Public Web Kiosk [message #666 is a reply to message #512] Fri, 16 November 2012 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
D8TA is currently offline  D8TA
OK, that did the trick. I was able to use the gconf tool to make some additional changes and all looks good but I have been unable to figure out a few other things. One being add the logout/restart button to the xguest panel and remove the switch user and shutdown options. Second after I have everything in place what is the easiest way to convert this to an iso to install on other machines or "clone" to other machines? I don't want to customize each and every instance. Ghost doesn't support ext4. If I could convert this image to a bootable image similiar to what you had provided with my customization I believe that would work unless there is an easier way.

Thanks again for your help and an awesome distribution!
Re: Stella Public Web Kiosk [message #667 is a reply to message #512] Fri, 16 November 2012 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

I think this is what Fragadelic is trying to do over at https://forums.nux.ro/index.php?t=msg&th=116&start=0 &
When he's finished you'd be able to make an image of the running OS.

In the meanwhile, I can create an ISO for you with the required changes, however I still need to find the time to mess around with Gnome panels, icon removals etc.
It should be possible to add or remove panels and panel entries through gconf only.
Re: Stella Public Web Kiosk [message #668 is a reply to message #512] Fri, 16 November 2012 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I must have an issue with my Desktop image but with all the changes I have put in place the Desktop appears to be similiar to what I am running currently with openSUSE. The only issues I still have is I can't get the panels customized for the xguest user. Here is what I am trying to get it to look like:
index.php?t=getfile&id=38&private=0

Firefox icon and a logout icon to flush the environment. I'll have auto login enabled so the system will just log back in to the xguest environment without having users figure out how to login to the system. Yes, I would have users who don't have a clue on this. Smile

Any thoughts? I am continuing to look at the gconf stuff but nothing is standing out on how to remove the necessary items.
  • Attachment: image001.png
    (Size: 20.63KB, Downloaded 580 times)

[Updated on: Fri, 16 November 2012 13:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Stella Public Web Kiosk [message #669 is a reply to message #512] Sat, 17 November 2012 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Right, what I discovered is that you can easily do this by copying over the gconf directory. So just copy over the .gconf directory in /etc/skell and change owner (chown -R root:root /etc/skell/.gconf), next you log in as xguest you should have the same.
Re: Stella Public Web Kiosk [message #670 is a reply to message #512] Sat, 17 November 2012 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

If this works for you, then you could centralise /etc/skell on some NFS mount in the LAN or rsync it over from a central machine.
Re: Stella Public Web Kiosk [message #794 is a reply to message #512] Mon, 17 December 2012 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That worked like a charm. Thanks! I finally got back around to finalizing everything but it appears Ghost doesn't like ext4 filesystems. I also could not make it ext3 because it said the image was created with ext4. Are you able to recreate that iso with ext3 filesystem? Or if you know how I can change the filesystem from ext4 to ext3 that would probably work as well.

Thanks and this is great stuff...keep up the awesome work with Stella. Great distro!
Re: Stella Public Web Kiosk [message #797 is a reply to message #512] Tue, 18 December 2012 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just discovered something vital! The PC hardware I have does not support 64-bit. Crying or Very Sad Any chance you could roll up a similiar image using 32-bit?

I was wrong...I checked BIOS and 64 bit wasn't even enabled. Go figure. Trying again but doesn't look like 32-bit is needed. YeeHaw! Very Happy

[Updated on: Tue, 18 December 2012 13:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Stella Public Web Kiosk [message #798 is a reply to message #512] Tue, 18 December 2012 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Hey mate, I can generate a 32 bit iso for you if you want. Let me know if it's still the case.
If those computers are going to be upgraded in the near future I wouldn't bother with it though.
Re: Stella Public Web Kiosk [message #802 is a reply to message #512] Wed, 19 December 2012 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks nux but I am good, no need for 32 bit version.

I have encountered an issue related to SELinux. I set everything up the way I wanted an then copied the .gconf and .mozilla directories to /etc/skel. All is well and is the way I want it however, when you try to browse web pages there is a very, very long delay before the page actually completes. For example I try and pull up yahoo.com or msn.com the page is presented but then something else is going on, think it may be all the reference pages associated with the site, but Firefox appears to stop responding. If I put SELinux in permissive mode it works like it should. Pages pull up no issues but once I go back into enforcing mode the page loads but then hesitates but finally completes. Any thoughts on how I can correct this?
Re: Stella Public Web Kiosk [message #803 is a reply to message #512] Wed, 19 December 2012 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Hmm, that's odd. Do you have a ".mozilla" directory in /etc/skel? If yes, what happens if you remove it?

Re: Stella Public Web Kiosk [message #809 is a reply to message #512] Thu, 20 December 2012 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Same thing but without my customization. I am not that up on SELinux but how can I reset a directory for the xguest user?
Re: Stella Public Web Kiosk [message #813 is a reply to message #512] Thu, 20 December 2012 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Well, running "restorecon -R -v /path/to/dir" (as root) usually does it, but in this case it might be more complicated since it's a special environment.
Re: Stella Public Web Kiosk [message #814 is a reply to message #512] Thu, 20 December 2012 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Might be worth opening an issue on bugzilla.redhat.com for the "xguest" package with this problem.
Re: Stella Public Web Kiosk [message #1626 is a reply to message #512] Thu, 12 December 2013 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Been a long time but was wondering if the Kiosk Stella ever made it out to the world? I recently did a quick Google search but didn't find anything.

The current hardware that I am currently using is being replaced so I thought this would be a good time to see about refreshing the OS with the latest 6.5 version.

I am still dumb founded that this distro isn't in the top 10 of Distro Watch! Great distro.

Re: Stella Public Web Kiosk [message #1629 is a reply to message #512] Fri, 13 December 2013 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Hi D8TA,

Unfortunately it has not made it, due to time constraints. At this pace we'll probably have it done on EL7. Smile

Thanks for your appreciation. Smile
Re: Stella Public Web Kiosk [message #2800 is a reply to message #512] Tue, 02 December 2014 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was getting ready to update my machines to the latest and just wanted to check back in to see if the kiosk version made it yet?

I am still currently running the 6.5 version and when I try to update my machine just sits on a cursor and I cannot do anything. Not sure if that is a grub thing or what but luckily my test machine is a VM so I was able to revert back to a snap.

I'm thinking about taking your advice and just let users login and do whatever and when they logout it would be nice to have their profiles removed so the next user would have a clean environment and/or prevent users from writing or saving to the disk to prevent any issues I would have to resolve. Very Happy
Re: Stella Public Web Kiosk [message #2801 is a reply to message #512] Tue, 02 December 2014 14:54 Go to previous message
Administrator

Hi,

Alas the Xguest feature is still not working, I think it has problems also in Fedora and EL7. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect it never to work properly. Smile
So for a kiosk, perhaps mount the homedir in RAM and reboot on logout or smth like this; just an idea.

Previous Topic: General Help LINUX
Next Topic: Skype for Linux R.I.P.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Feb 23 12:11:31 GMT 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01780 seconds