Nux!

Home » Repos » Report a problem or request a package » alarm clock applet or ?
alarm clock applet or ? [message #545] Fri, 26 October 2012 05:17 Go to next message
loopnode
hi stellarians,

my stove has a timer built into the back panel. the other day, it died, so, i hunted for something that'd work with stella, but i couldn't find anything. anyone knows of one that i missed? i realize there's 'at' for the cml (suppose if my bash skills were adequate, it'd work) & 'remind', which seems to be more a calendar.

i need an alarm/timer. this looks like it'd do the trick:

(had to remove the link to alarm-clock-applet.)

& a review:

(gone,too.)

think it's gnome-based, but it & several of it's dependencies don't appear when checking with yum. seems a little alarm/timer would be a cool addition; when you have time, could you take a look at the plausibility of an alarm-clock-applet package for stella, nux?

or did i miss one somewhere?

-loop
Re: alarm clock applet or ? [message #546 is a reply to message #545] Fri, 26 October 2012 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Hi loop,

I wrote a little script here http://dl.nux.ro/utils/teatime.sh, if you drop it in ~/bin (create it if it doesn't exist) you will be able to call it from command line without the full path.
The script has a delay of 3 minutes since it's for tea, but if you replace DELAY=3 with DELAY=$1 you should be able to specify a time in minutes in the command line, e.g.:
teatime.sh 15

It will play /usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo/complete.oga after those 15 minutes.
You can also couple it with zenity and make it ask for the number of minutes in a nice graphical way if you like.

If you have direct links to proper alarm programs I can have a look.
Re: alarm clock applet or ? [message #547 is a reply to message #546] Fri, 26 October 2012 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
loopnode
nux wrote on Thu, 25 October 2012 23:09
Hi loop,

I wrote a little script

thanks, nux.

Quote:

You can also couple it with zenity and make it ask for the number of minutes in a nice graphical way if you like.

i'm not familiar with zenity. but then as for me, there's a lot that's unfamiliar. 0_o may check it out.

Quote:

If you have direct links to proper alarm programs I can have a look.

your script seems to match my needs if i run it from the cml (because in my case the times needed are almost always different from one time to the next.

anyway, since i've yet to make 10 posts the forum restricts me from posting links. i'm not complaining Wink i'll email them.

-loop
Re: alarm clock applet or ? [message #549 is a reply to message #545] Fri, 26 October 2012 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Right, well, sorry about that. I blame the spammers.

For the record the links you wanted to post (as per your email) are:
app: http://alarm-clock.pseudoberries.com/

review: http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/72116.html
Re: alarm clock applet or ? [message #550 is a reply to message #545] Fri, 26 October 2012 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Loop,

Give it a try:

yum install http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/dextop/el6/x86_64/gnome-applet-alarm-clock-0.3.2-2.el6.nux.x86_64.rpm

Normally you'd use
yum install gnome-applet-alarm-clock
, but I'm not sure the package is on the mirrors yet as well so it might give an error.

Re: alarm clock applet or ? [message #552 is a reply to message #550] Fri, 26 October 2012 11:28 Go to previous message
loopnode
nux wrote on Fri, 26 October 2012 02:54
Loop,

Give it a try:

perfect! thanks, nux!

-loop
Previous Topic: Minimalistic text-editor "Catlooking"
Next Topic: Kupfer rebuild on RHEL 6.3
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 03:49:11 BST 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05579 seconds