Nux!

Home » Repos » General chat » Explanation about repositories?
Explanation about repositories? [message #556] Fri, 26 October 2012 15:21 Go to next message
haaho is currently offline  haaho
Hello,

I just tried Stella 6.3 and it is amazing!!!

Coming from Ubuntu I am a litle confused about all these repositories.
Can somebody give a litle information about them?

For example, on the CentOS wiki there is no word about "CentOS - base" repo, and so on.

Thank you for the good (the best for me) distro Razz
Re: Explanation about repositories? [message #559 is a reply to message #556] Fri, 26 October 2012 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

здрасти,

The yum repositories are basically online directories with software packaged in RPM format; they're places where the OS retrieves software from.
The official CentOS repos are:

CentOS-Base - The main directory/repo, which contains the software that the initial release contains, this is the most important one. The CentOS CDs and DVDs are built from this repo.
RHEL consists of mostly the same packages. This is something like "main" in ubuntu/debian world
CentOS-Extras - packages contributed by the community, these packages are not provided by the upstream (RedHat), but are contributed by the community; in debian/ubuntu you'd probably have the repo named "contrib"
CentOS-Updates - This repo provides updated versions of software in the Base directory, whenever they become available.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.
Re: Explanation about repositories? [message #569 is a reply to message #559] Sat, 27 October 2012 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haaho is currently offline  haaho
Здравей Smile ,

Thank you for your answer. I understood that RPMforge is safe (with right priorities),
and it is needed for multimedia tuning, but what about the others - elrepo and
extra packages for enterprize linux, enabled by default. Are they necessary?
And nux repo for general desktop use and Stella-base.

admin.modno-atelie.com/Screenshot.png (I can not post this yet Sad )

Are all enabled by default needed? and which are safe and which no so safe.

If there is an article/documentation on the Internet about this, please point me to it.

Best regards Smile

[Updated on: Sat, 27 October 2012 12:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Explanation about repositories? [message #571 is a reply to message #556] Sat, 27 October 2012 14:48 Go to previous message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Hello,

Right, so Stella ships: Centos-Base, CentOS-Extras, Extra Packages (aka EPEL, provides a lot of packages), ElRepo (mostly for extra drivers) and Adobe Repo (for flash). On top of these there is my repo nux-dextop which provides mltimedia and desktop stuff[1].
All these repos work well together with no conflicts; extremely rarely do they provide the same package.

On the other hand Repoforge/rpmforge, ATrpms, linuxtech etc etc do conflict with nux-dextop, so if you use Stella I advise you not to use them. If there is software that you need then let me know and I'll try to provide it.

[1] - http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/dextop/el6/SRPMS/ <- you can browse the source packages here to get an idea of what nux-dextop ships
Next Topic: Desktop kernel
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 17 12:48:05 BST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.29830 seconds