Nux!

Home » Repos » Report a problem or request a package » New user with observations and a package request
New user with observations and a package request [message #609] Mon, 05 November 2012 13:01 Go to next message
Steven_G is currently offline  Steven_G
I'm an intermediate *nix user. I've been distro hopping for about 18 months. I installed yours about 4 hours ago on a Lenovo IdeaPad Z560 and so far I'm really impressed.

I was on doze for 30 years and while I am learning the command line I am still most comfortable in the GUI.

I would like to offer an observation: visudo did not display properly in the terminal. The bottom was cut off. So I couldn't see the file name to rename it from a tmp file to overwrite the actual file. I ended up having to edit it maunally in the root file browser and then chmod'ing back to 440. This one may be me though? This is the first rpm distro I have ever used, all the rest have been deb and there were a few minor differnces with the way visudo worked.

I would suggest that you include alacarte in the default installation. I think it's about the only basic tool that you missed.

I would like to request pysdm be added to the repos.

This machine is for my wife. Her HD crashed on her doze machine and I finally got her to take the plunge. I need to reover one of her data partitions from a backup. My backup program will restore the partition to disimular hardware. But the partition must be NTFS. And I'd like the partition to mount at boot.

I know that can be done through the command line, if you know how. But, I'm not sure how to do it. I've played with pysdm and not only does it work well but it also seems to generate a lot more information than is included in any of the manual mount / edit fstab tutorials that I have found. None of which I could ever get to work.

Keep up the good work. So far I'm a whole lot more impressed with what you've cooked up than anything coming out of the big name deb distos in the last 6 months.

Re: New user with observations and a package request [message #613 is a reply to message #609] Mon, 05 November 2012 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Hello Steven and thanks for the feedback!

I can't replicate the visudo problem.

However, if you want to be able to use sudo just add your user to the wheel group; not only will this enable you to use sudo but also pkcon (policykit yum frontend and the Software Install and Software Update apps). It's a little trick that I should advertise more.

Regarding pysdm it's in the repo now, give it 15-30 minutes for it to reach the mirror. I'll remember your suggestion with alacarte.

Thanks!
Re: New user with observations and a package request [message #617 is a reply to message #613] Tue, 06 November 2012 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steven_G is currently offline  Steven_G
nux wrote on Mon, 05 November 2012 21:11
Hello Steven and thanks for the feedback!

I can't replicate the visudo problem.

However, if you want to be able to use sudo just add your user to the wheel group; not only will this enable you to use sudo but also pkcon (policykit yum frontend and the Software Install and Software Update apps). It's a little trick that I should advertise more.

Regarding pysdm it's in the repo now, give it 15-30 minutes for it to reach the mirror. I'll remember your suggestion with alacarte.

Thanks!

Now that is what I call developer response!

Thanks.

And I think the visudo problem may be that I need to tweak the default display a little bit. I noticed as I posted the above message last night that the bottom of the text submission box was cut off a little bit.
Re: New user with observations and a package request [message #619 is a reply to message #609] Tue, 06 November 2012 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Yes, check if it's not some weird video driver issue. Are you using desktop effects (compiz)? If yes, try to disable it and check if the problems persist.
Other users also had problems whilst using hardware accelerated (opengl) desktop gadgets (like docky i think), make sure you're not running them when testing.

Re: New user with observations and a package request [message #788 is a reply to message #619] Fri, 14 December 2012 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kleo is currently offline  kleo
[root@dhcppc0 Desktop]# yum install pysdm
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit, security
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
* base: centos.telecoms.bg
* elrepo: mirror.solvention.de
* epel: mirror.nl.leaseweb.net
* extras: centos.telecoms.bg
* nux-dextop: li.nux.ro
* updates: centos.telecoms.bg
Setting up Install Process
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package pysdm.noarch 0:0.4.1-2.el6.nux will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: tepache for package: pysdm-0.4.1-2.el6.nux.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: gnome-icon-theme-legacy for package: pysdm-0.4.1-2.el6.nux.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: beesu for package: pysdm-0.4.1-2.el6.nux.noarch
--> Running transaction check
---> Package beesu.x86_64 0:2.6-1.el6 will be installed
---> Package pysdm.noarch 0:0.4.1-2.el6.nux will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: tepache for package: pysdm-0.4.1-2.el6.nux.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: gnome-icon-theme-legacy for package: pysdm-0.4.1-2.el6.nux.noarch
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Package: pysdm-0.4.1-2.el6.nux.noarch (nux-dextop)
Requires: tepache
Error: Package: pysdm-0.4.1-2.el6.nux.noarch (nux-dextop)
Requires: gnome-icon-theme-legacy
You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
Re: New user with observations and a package request [message #791 is a reply to message #609] Fri, 14 December 2012 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

I'll have a look at it tomorrow.

Re: New user with observations and a package request [message #792 is a reply to message #609] Sat, 15 December 2012 10:03 Go to previous message
Administrator

yum --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=nux-dextop clean all && yum install pysdm

That should do it. Let me know if there are other problems.
Previous Topic: Fslint in Stella repo ???
Next Topic: Nautilus, right and middle click
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Mar 25 07:35:10 GMT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04791 seconds