Nux!

Home » Repos » Report a problem or request a package » Remmina RDP plugin (Unable to install it)
Remmina RDP plugin [message #907] Tue, 29 January 2013 22:07 Go to next message
sten_123 is currently offline  sten_123
Hello Everyone,

I'm having issues with installing remmina-plugins-rdp.x86_64 on our c Stella Smile
After some struggling I found that this plugin needs GTK 3 which is not currently supported in centos or at least it is not available.
Now my quesion is first do you think that this is going to help me: linuxfonts.narod.ru/compiling-and-installing-gtk3-in- centos6.html
And second if not can you help me with this.

Thank you.

[Updated on: Tue, 29 January 2013 22:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #908 is a reply to message #907] Tue, 29 January 2013 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Hello,

Yes, Remmina is unusable nowadays for Centos due to missing deps (GTK3 & co). I miss it as well, but am happy with using xfreerdp from command line.
I'll have a look at the link you sent and try it out, perhaps next week or so; it may work though it doesn't look very encouraging; looks like building Gentoo. Smile
Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #909 is a reply to message #907] Tue, 29 January 2013 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sten_123 is currently offline  sten_123
Thank you for your reply, yes I'm using xfreerdp as well, and actually I'm using Remmina for VNC and it works fine.

Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #910 is a reply to message #908] Wed, 30 January 2013 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
symbianflo is currently offline  symbianflo

nux wrote on Tue, 29 January 2013 23:13
Hello,

Yes, Remmina is unusable nowadays for Centos due to missing deps (GTK3 & co). I miss it as well, but am happy with using xfreerdp from command line.
I'll have a look at the link you sent and try it out, perhaps next week or so; it may work though it doesn't look very encouraging; looks like building Gentoo. Smile

Is not very difficult to build it ...maybe is more difficult to install gtk3 apps against it ... and IMO /opt install is bad ... very bad ...
It's like you run 2 DE that exclude each other at the same time ,
disable gtk2-headers is unacceptable ,even if it's said that is no longer required, I DON'T THINK SO , maybe cairo and atk &&CO but glib .....
try to give it a shot and you'll see ...
That's tricky m8...very tricky....
Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #985 is a reply to message #907] Fri, 22 February 2013 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fragadelic is currently offline  fragadelic
index.php?t=getfile&id=69&private=0This is a little gui launcher creator I made for rdesktop. Requires python, rdesktop and gtk libs.

Put the rdesktop-gtk.py in /usr/bin
Put the rdesktop-gtk.png in /usr/share/pixmaps
Put the rdesktop-gtk.py.desktop in /usr/share/applications

The only field you have to enter something in is the URL or IP field. Everything else can be left blank.

This will create a run script in your home folder starting with .rdesktop- so it won't show up in a normal search and has the server ip or name after it. It also creates a launcher for the desktop for this setup and puts it in the Desktop folder.

It is very simple. I created for myself since remmina isn't available. You have to manually delete the files if you want to get rid of the launcher and run script.

Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #986 is a reply to message #985] Fri, 22 February 2013 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
symbianflo is currently offline  symbianflo

Interesting can you please make a tarball with all this , maybe to quote one of the gpl license , an give it a version?
I'm not very familiar with rdesktop or remina but I can pack this , would be nice to have it in nux or in stella media ...
Please let me know what you decide.
Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #987 is a reply to message #986] Fri, 22 February 2013 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Let me clean it up a bit and add a remove function before packaging it up.
Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #988 is a reply to message #907] Sat, 23 February 2013 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
index.php?t=getfile&id=71&private=0No remove function but I updated it a bit.

I would like some feedback on it prior to packaging it up.
Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #989 is a reply to message #907] Sat, 23 February 2013 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

I'll have to install windows in a VM to test this ... see what you make me do? Smile

Anyway, good call with this little program, I love the idea and I wanted to create something similar, but as I'm not a programmer nothing happened. At some point I wanted to do something with Zenity.

2 questions though:
- it looks like you are using rdesktop, can you use freerdp instead?
- from what I can see in the code you are saving the passwords in clear text.. any way to integrate with the Gnome keyring, maybe in some future release? Or, for now can you offer the option to save the password or NOT?

Cheerio

Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #990 is a reply to message #907] Sat, 23 February 2013 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

So I tried it, as expected it did not work to connect to Windows 7 with NLA (secure), but worked as soon as I choose "Allow connections from computes running any version bla bla".

So a.t.m. my 2 biggest wishes would be:
1 - offer not to save passwords (at least not in text)
2 - use freerdp so we can connect to Windows 2008/2012.
Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #991 is a reply to message #990] Sat, 23 February 2013 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have to look into the save passwords option.

This is my first real pygtk app from scratch. I've altered other people's work before but never created anything from scratch so this is my first.

As for freerdp, I was thinking of having an option for either rdesktop or xfreerdp. Let me work on it.
Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #992 is a reply to message #991] Sat, 23 February 2013 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is the one that uses xfreerdp.

As with the previous one, put the xfreerdp-gtk.py in /usr/bin, the xfreerdp-gtk.png in /usr/share/pixmaps and the xfreerdp-gtk.desktop in /usr/share/applications.

These last 2 versions allow you to run it directly from the gui without having to save anything. If you are worried about the password, just leave it out and your server will prompt you for it.

Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #993 is a reply to message #992] Sat, 23 February 2013 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The issue with the password won't be fixed with using keyring as you have to pass it to the xfreerdp program and this means it will show up in a ps search(ps axf).

If you are worried about the password and someone else on your box seeing it, then you should not set it.

Even if I use the keyring to store and get the password, it will be visible in the processes when you run xfreerdp.
Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #994 is a reply to message #993] Sat, 23 February 2013 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here are the tarballs for the debian packages of these. I am primarily a debian guy due to my remastersys project but everything should be in here that is needed to create packages for rpm.
Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #995 is a reply to message #907] Sat, 23 February 2013 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Roger that.

We'll package it shortly.

Good job, btw! Smile
Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #996 is a reply to message #995] Sat, 23 February 2013 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks. It was a great learning experience.

Let me know if there are any other things that could use a gtk frontend and I'll see what I can do.

BTW, these work perfectly on Debian and Ubuntu as well.

I used gtk2 so it should work in any Linux distro that has python, gtk2 and either rdesktop or xfreerdp.
Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #997 is a reply to message #907] Sun, 24 February 2013 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Sure thing, I think I stumbled upon quite a few in the past, it's just a question of remembering. Very Happy

Btw, idea for the current apps: why not unify rdesktop and freerdp in one single application and just provide a dropdown to choose which program to use for the connection?
Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #998 is a reply to message #907] Sun, 24 February 2013 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Btw, I added xfreerdp-gtk to nux-dextop repo.
Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #999 is a reply to message #998] Sun, 24 February 2013 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will make a new package and just call it rdp-gtk that will have both xfreerdp and rdesktop.
Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #1000 is a reply to message #907] Sun, 24 February 2013 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Lovely! Makes more sense than having to maintain 2 separate packages.
Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #1001 is a reply to message #1000] Sun, 24 February 2013 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Agreed but now I have reorganize the gui - lol.

I wanted to make sure it would work with xfreerdp first.

I know in debian you can have a dep as one thing OR another and I'm sure it is the same in rpm so just make sure to have xfreerdp and rdesktop as OR package deps.
Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #1002 is a reply to message #1001] Sun, 24 February 2013 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How is this:

Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #1003 is a reply to message #907] Sun, 24 February 2013 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Looks cool! I'll package it shortly.

Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #1004 is a reply to message #907] Sun, 24 February 2013 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

It's in nux-dextop repo. Thanks a lot and good job!
Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #1005 is a reply to message #1004] Mon, 25 February 2013 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks.

It was the perfect sized app to cut my teeth on with pygtk.

I have a lot of other little things I want to create but I need to revamp my remastersys gui for debian and ubuntu first.

If you can think of any other little things like this that would be of help, just PM me or start an thread and PM me the thread so I know about it.
Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #1010 is a reply to message #907] Mon, 25 February 2013 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Will do. Cheers, captain!
Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #1013 is a reply to message #1010] Mon, 25 February 2013 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I added an xterm/gnome-terminal call as xfreerdp will freak out sometimes and needs interaction so it will pop up a terminal window so you can take care of any messages while running the rdp command.

Added dep of xterm or gnome-terminal now.
Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #1014 is a reply to message #907] Mon, 25 February 2013 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Lovely, I'll check it out tomorrow.
BTW, the .destop file should also be modified to read "Terminal=true", no?

Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #1015 is a reply to message #1014] Mon, 25 February 2013 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not all desktop environment properly honour the Terminal=true.

The way I have it setup, it will work on any window manager with either xterm or gnome-terminal. If gnome-terminal is there, it is preferred but if it isn't, xterm will be used.
Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #1016 is a reply to message #1015] Tue, 26 February 2013 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Let me know when you have the new one packaged.
Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #1023 is a reply to message #907] Wed, 27 February 2013 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

It's packaged. Thanks!
Re: Remmina RDP plugin [message #1024 is a reply to message #1023] Wed, 27 February 2013 22:53 Go to previous message
Thanks. I updated it on my Stella System.

Previous Topic: Analog tv watching and tv capturing?
Next Topic: Two new packages
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 19:30:33 BST 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02613 seconds