Nux!

Home » Repos » Report a problem or request a package » Two new packages (I built RadioTray and PhotoPrint)
Two new packages [message #1031] Sat, 02 March 2013 08:51 Go to next message
luxuslurch is currently offline  luxuslurch
Hello!

I am just curious if it would be possible to add two more packages to the repos. I am talking about:

Photoprint

and RadioTray

Both come in extremely handy for me. I've built them out of SRPMs from Fedora 18 without any problems. No dependency problems and they run just fine.

Just asking?

Thank you for caring!
Re: Two new packages [message #1035 is a reply to message #1031] Sat, 02 March 2013 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Hello,

The 2 packages have been added to nux-dextop. Thanks for the suggestion.

Re: Two new packages [message #1043 is a reply to message #1035] Sun, 03 March 2013 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yay! Thank you very much - PhotoPrint just updated via 'yum upgrade'. Astonishing speed btw.

Last question: is there a reason why you've chosen to add Version 0.7.1.3 - because 0.7.3 is the latest...
I don't want to sound niggling here!
Re: Two new packages [message #1045 is a reply to message #1031] Sun, 03 March 2013 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Hello,

Re the version, it's what I've found in Fedora. I didn't bother to check what's the latest version from upstream.
I'll look into upgrading it to latest later today or in the following dates.

Re: Two new packages [message #1047 is a reply to message #1045] Sun, 03 March 2013 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Right, Fedora 18 is at 0.7.1 - I remember now having fetched an SRPM from Fuduntu.

As I am pretty new to building RPMs from SRPMs - can one actually use every SRPM found on the internet, e.g. for mageia or opensuse?
Re: Two new packages [message #1048 is a reply to message #1031] Sun, 03 March 2013 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

If you're new I suggest you look into mock for building (S)RPMs, it helps a lot and it's also how Fedora/RHEL and 3rd party packagers for them build stuff.

Re the mageia stuff, you will find that they often use different macros which do not exist in EL6 or have different way of dealing with stuff, e.g. only in Fedora/RHEL I've noticed .desktop files installed with desktop-file-install, other distros just copy over the file.

Symbianflo is packaging for both Stella and Mandriva/ROSA, I'll ask him to give you a more detailed answer.

All in all SRPMS from other distros are a good starting point if you have nothing else.

Re: Two new packages [message #1049 is a reply to message #1047] Sun, 03 March 2013 14:38 Go to previous message
symbianflo is currently offline  symbianflo

luxuslurch wrote on Sun, 03 March 2013 12:29
Right, Fedora 18 is at 0.7.1 - I remember now having fetched an SRPM from Fuduntu.

As I am pretty new to building RPMs from SRPMs - can one actually use every SRPM found on the internet, e.g. for mageia or opensuse?

Of course that it is doable , to backport a srpm from rpm5=>rpm4=>rpm3 and opposite , depends how much you know about
each rpm-type containing policy per distribution.
suse-like vs mandriva-like vs rhel-like macros,triggers,attr's,groups,db's, rpm interfaces, lib aliases and/or names,arch, a.s.o
(the list could full fill this page) ARE INCOMPATIBLE,
It was written about %name.desktop file and it's utility (handy example) , each type of distro use own desktop file policy,
regarding : file encoding, attr ( file attributes),file group, iconing policy (path, attr,permits, a.s.o)

The only tool that offers you a valid diagnosis is rpmlint, linting the spec file will give a quite precise situation
regarding the errors and warnings before to proceed with compilation, also linting the output rpms is a must
but of course won't give you the diff's between the %libname's and/or aliases, but a most common
alias in rpm world is pkgconfig(%name) ( for ex. pkgconfig(sdl) is an alias for suse and mandriva's libSDl-devel/lib64SDL-devel, rhel's SDL-devel.i686/x86_64,
So pkgconfig(sdl) will do for all 3 distros)
You can check a devel package alias with:
rpm -q %libname --provides
(command valid in all rpm based distros)
and from the list you should choose
pkgconfig(something)

if you are lucky you can fix until 80% of requested headers in a spec file with pkgconfig.
This is only pinch of the problems that might come out during a backport from a distro to another.
So long story short ain't no easy, but doable.
Previous Topic: Remmina RDP plugin
Next Topic: Clementine and gstreamer-plugins-bad on centos 6.3 [SOLVED/HINT]
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 25 02:47:34 BST 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01012 seconds