Nux!

Home » Stella » General chat » Ongoing Support for Stella Down the Road?
Ongoing Support for Stella Down the Road? [message #1078] Mon, 11 March 2013 02:06 Go to next message
cb474 is currently offline  cb474
Hi, thanks for creating Stella! I love the idea of a more desktop friendly spin of Cent OS, that's not a fork.

I'm wondering how this will work for long term support of Stella? Some reviews I've read raise the concern that since Stella is a one person show (thanks Nux!) it always raises a question of how long the dev will remain interested in supporting the distro. I understand, of course, that as a Stella user I would be entirely the benefeciary of Nux's efforts and am grateful for that. So I'm not questioning it anyway.

But I am concerned about long term support, several years down the road. If Nux loses interest, would Stella, as basically Cent OS, still benefit from all the usual Cent OS support and security updates? Or would Stella start to have things break, have problems, etc. Or is it only the media and desktop apps that would suffer?

I guess this is in some sense a question about how the package updates for Stella work, who maintains them, where they come from, and what would happen if Nux stopped working on Stella.

Thanks for any explanation. And thanks Nux for pursuing such a great idea of how to build on Cent OS, for desktop users. I hope of course that Stella grows and becomes popular and well established and lives a long and fruitful life.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 March 2013 02:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Ongoing Support for Stella Down the Road? [message #1079 is a reply to message #1078] Mon, 11 March 2013 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fragadelic is currently offline  fragadelic
I'm not associated with Stella and agree about the sentiments about how useful it is. The packages that Nux provides are small and few - mainly the graphics, etc. It is essentially just Centos with all the normal desktop repos enabled like he advertises it as. What this means is that if he stops right now, you can continue to use it until Centos stops supporting the 6.x version. As long as Centos supports it, you will receive updates.

The reviewers that make those statements haven't done their homework or don't understand how it works which then makes you question their validity as a journalist/reviewer.

May make them sound important but has no real merit in terms of a real issue.
Re: Ongoing Support for Stella Down the Road? [message #1081 is a reply to message #1078] Mon, 11 March 2013 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Hi,

Fragadelic pretty much hit the nail on the head. If I were to stop all my activity now you will still receive all the updates CentOS project releases.
What you will not get are updates to my packages (VLC, mplayer etc) which is much less than a tragedy.

HTH
Re: Ongoing Support for Stella Down the Road? [message #1084 is a reply to message #1078] Mon, 11 March 2013 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cb474 is currently offline  cb474
Thanks for the clarification Nux and fragadelic.

Again, I have high hopes for Stella, which I think is a great idea. I just wanted to make sure I understood the long term support potential correctly.

It does seem like in this era, in which a lot of people just use the desktop for email, web, multimedia, they don't need an OS that is constantly upgrading. They need a stable and secure system, that can just stay up to date with the web and multimedia stuff.

I'm a little surprised really that there does not exist a popular repo for Cent OS (as far as I understand, I'm new to Cent OS) that just provides up to date versions of VLC, LibreOffice, etc. Like the multimedia repo for Debian.
Re: Ongoing Support for Stella Down the Road? [message #1086 is a reply to message #1084] Tue, 12 March 2013 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fragadelic is currently offline  fragadelic
The problem with up-to-date stuff is that it requires more up-to-date libraries as well so you can't backport a lot of newer things to older versions without breaking a lot of important things. Red Hat does a lot of backporting as it is to get the system usable as it is.

I tend to prefer old and stable as compared to shiny new and possibly unstable.

Gnome 2 is my favourite Desktop Environment and Nautilus of this era is my favourite File Manager. It will be a very sad day when Gnome 2 is gone. Mate is not the same thing IMHO. They are trying but it is a losing battle due to libraries.
Re: Ongoing Support for Stella Down the Road? [message #1087 is a reply to message #1078] Tue, 12 March 2013 10:05 Go to previous message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

@cb474 - there are several repos for CentOS that do provide newer stuff, a lot of multimedia, too. ATrpms, Repoforge/RPMforge (aka Dag), LinuxTECH, RPMFusion etc.

The problem has always been not one of these repos provided a broader range of packages or if it did it either conflicted with the base OS or with other repos that one might need.

This is how Stella was born actually, out of the desire to have a large repo that played ball with base OS and with EPEL (which has become the "de facto" 3rd party repo for RHEL/Centos but does not include patent/licensing dubious packages).

@fragadelic - I agree Gnome2 is great, for people who want to get stuff done it's priceless, but I think MATE will catch up since it has made it in Fedora and will get much more attention now. I hope EL7 will include it, otherwise we've just found a reason for making Stella 7. Smile

Previous Topic: Installing a virtual machine on Stella
Next Topic: Stella 6.4 on iMac
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 26 12:31:27 GMT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01130 seconds