Nux!

Home » Stella » General chat » Stella on my Dell Laptop (New to Stella)
icon6.gif  Stella on my Dell Laptop [message #91] Wed, 08 February 2012 19:54 Go to next message
Dude is currently offline  Dude
I've been looking for a 64 bit version of Red Hat/CentOS/Fedora Linux that comes with Media Codecs. I saw Stella on the Distrowatch.com website when I did a search, so I gave it a try. It runs just fine on my 2 year old Dell laptop. I wanted a 64 bit OS because I have 6gb of RAM. Stella detected all of my hardware including the Wifi adapter. I ran Software Update and Stella didn't have any problems afterward. My only complaint is that downloading stuff from the repositories is kind of slow. I'm not sure if that's my wifi connection or what. I downloaded Stellerium, some games and screensavers. It doesn't bother me that Stella uses the old GNOME 2 graphical interface. I think the new GNOME 3 Unity interface sucks! That's why I'm switching to something else besides Ubuntu or the new Fedora with GNOME 3. Stella seems like a good altternative for my laptop for my laptop and the media codecs are a huge bonus! I've been using Stella for 2 days now and I'm happy with it so far. Keep up the good work!
Re: Stella on my Dell Laptop [message #93 is a reply to message #91] Wed, 08 February 2012 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Hello Dude,

Glad you're happy with Stella. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Regarding yum, when you say it's slow, do you mean the download of the packages is slow or the process itself of discovering the repos etc is slow?

The repos should be fairly speedy as far as I know.

Re: Stella on my Dell Laptop [message #95 is a reply to message #93] Thu, 09 February 2012 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
symbianflo is currently offline  symbianflo

Nux wrote on Wed, 08 February 2012 23:27
Hello Dude,

Glad you're happy with Stella. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Regarding yum, when you say it's slow, do you mean the download of the packages is slow or the process itself of discovering the repos etc is slow?

The repos should be fairly speedy as far as I know.

IMHO :
Compared with synaptic, entropy or urpmi( rpm5), yum always was slower ( even the newer version in fedora...) but much faster then yast,pacman ,spkg ,ports, pkg_* ,portage,a.s.o, so IMO it.s not so bad ( from this POV)Very Happy , IMO yum is perfect for stella , for a "rock solid" ( to mention the sabayon's slogan )
stable fast and reliable distro yum might be slower but it's more precise and secure...
And , as far as I know stella aim to be precisely this, for cutting edge, unstable a.s.o. are other distribution.
icon14.gif  Re: Stella on my Dell Laptop [message #97 is a reply to message #93] Thu, 09 February 2012 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The process of discovering repos seems slow. Well, slow compared to using Synaptic with Linux Mint Debian. It could be that I'm less familiar with Yum. I've used Fedora and CentOS before. I can't remember how fast packages downloaded because it's been a while. My wifi connection seems slow lately anyway. Maybe it's my ISP? By the way, any plans for an updated 64 bit version of Stella, or is this one really the 'Final' version like it says on the splash screen? It would be nice to have a newer Kernel version that supports the Trim feature with Solid State Drives. This 64 bit version works just fine for my purposes though. I plan to use this OS to study for the Red Hat portion of the LPIC certification exams.
Re: Stella on my Dell Laptop [message #99 is a reply to message #91] Thu, 09 February 2012 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Hello Dude,

There will be subsequent releases this month hopefully bringing whatever new packages were released in Centos 6.2 in the meanwhile and fixing a few little bugs with the installer.
The repos themselves should be fast enough to not cause major annoyances, but yum is indeed a slow (but _very_ versatile) tool.
If you're studying RHEL/EL6 also have a look at pkcon, if you're in the wheel group you should be able to use it without password; it's the package manager from the policykit suite, sometimes it's faster than yum.

Re: Stella on my Dell Laptop [message #101 is a reply to message #91] Thu, 09 February 2012 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Dude, wrt the kernel trim feature, I was under the impression the stock kernel can handle it, you just need to remount the SSD partitions with the "trim" option, if you use ext4. Then again I don't own a SSD, so all this is "imho".

If you're looking for a newer kernel, check the kernel-ml in elrepo:

yum --enablerepo=elrepo-kernel install kernel-ml

http://elrepo.org

[Updated on: Thu, 09 February 2012 23:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Stella on my Dell Laptop [message #104 is a reply to message #91] Fri, 10 February 2012 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, thanks. I hear Linux kernel 2.6.33 and higher supports Trim. I think the mount option to enable it is 'discard'. Not sure of 2.6.32 has been backported to use Trim yet though. That's what I've read anyway. Actually, I can't tell much difference using SSD's either with or without Trim enabled. It probably makes a bigger differences running Microsoft Windows bloatware. Most SSD's have hardware based garbage collection that does almost the same thing as Trim anyway. Speaking of SSD's, most Linux installs take less than 8gb for a basic installation with a swap file. I find a 30gb SSD more than adequate for most Linux distros. I'm running Stella on an older 40gb Intel SSD for example. There's still plently of room left to install packages and for music and photos.
Re: Stella on my Dell Laptop [message #105 is a reply to message #91] Fri, 10 February 2012 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Dude,

Indeed, the option for trim is "discard", I'm almost certain Redhat backported the feature to EL6's 2.6.32.

Re: Stella on my Dell Laptop [message #915 is a reply to message #91] Thu, 07 February 2013 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StellaTester is currently offline  StellaTester
Hey Dude, glad u liked it. I am also a Fedora Refuge testing Stella... well most likely from what I hear I am going to keep it on my system besides just testing. If we spread this new distro around I am sure that more mirrors will come out in US so that we will be able to download much faster.

I also am going to test this on my Dell Laptop when its done downloading. I think a Torrent would be a better idea for downloading to speed things up.
Re: Stella on my Dell Laptop [message #918 is a reply to message #91] Thu, 07 February 2013 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Elton from LayerJet has a mirror here:
http://mirror2.layerjet.com/stella/

Maybe it's faster for you.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 February 2013 21:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Stella on my Dell Laptop [message #920 is a reply to message #918] Thu, 07 February 2013 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux wrote on Thu, 07 February 2013 21:32
Elton from LayerJet has a mirror here:
xxxx(cant use links < 10 posts)

Maybe it's faster for you.

thanks! I am using wget to get it. I don't know if you can switch mirrors while still downloading. I am using "-c" option only. I'll RTFM to see how.
Re: Stella on my Dell Laptop [message #922 is a reply to message #91] Thu, 07 February 2013 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

You can interrupt the transfer (ctrl+c) and then "wget -c" from the new link; should work. Run md5sum on the iso in the end and see if it matches with the one on the mirror.

Re: Stella on my Dell Laptop [message #923 is a reply to message #922] Thu, 07 February 2013 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i actually did the same thing u recommended. i guess i type quicker then i can think lol

the mirror is btw 10X faster. Highly recommended for US Downloaders.
Re: Stella on my Dell Laptop [message #924 is a reply to message #91] Thu, 07 February 2013 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Nice!
Re: Stella on my Dell Laptop [message #927 is a reply to message #924] Fri, 08 February 2013 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Installed quite well on my Dell Laptop with no issues. Except Dell Bios related issue on my specific laptop.
Great system loving it.
Re: Stella on my Dell Laptop [message #933 is a reply to message #91] Sat, 09 February 2013 11:42 Go to previous message
Administrator

Glad it works!
Previous Topic: How To Ask Questions In The Forum The Smart Way
Next Topic: Happy to use Stella6.3
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 06 02:22:23 BST 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.06110 seconds