Nux!

Home » Stella » General chat » Few questions on Stella Linux 6.4
Few questions on Stella Linux 6.4 [message #1433] Mon, 02 September 2013 14:51 Go to next message
pmux is currently offline  pmux
Hi,

I have some basic familiarity with Linux, but need to really get familiar with it.

Will be very thankful if someone could please let me know if -

1) Hows Stella 6.4 on laptops? Is this mostly a server based distro? Is there anyone here using Stella 6.4 as a primary OS for laptops? Meaning using it for serious work as well as for browsing the net, watching youtube, movies etc etc?

2) I have been using Ubuntu for a while now, but due to certain reasons, looking for another flavour of linux. I had tried Debian, but for some reasons, I could not get it to dual boot. Granted that installation method(s) will differ from OS to OS, but is Stella easier to install ? I have a thinkpad with UEFI. I had to go the Legacy BIOS way to get Debian installed, but does Stella understand UEFI and peacefully co exist with Win 7 ?

3) Can I just copy my .vimrc file and .vim directory from Ubuntu to Stella 6.4 and it would work fine? I spent some time tweaking and refining it, used pathogen to add plugins so would love if I can just copy over and maintain the settings.

Apologies for so many questions, but hoping that someone here would be generous to answer.

I have posted similar questions on the scientific linux as well as CentOS Forums.

Regards,
pmu

[Updated on: Mon, 02 September 2013 17:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Few questions on Stella Linux 6.4 [message #1434 is a reply to message #1433] Mon, 02 September 2013 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Hi,

1. Stella is a desktop-oriented CentOS remix, it's not for servers, you can use it to watch films, youtube etc.

2. It should work with UEFI and should also detect your Windows and add a grub entry for it (named "Other OS" or "Windows")

3. It should also just work

Good luck and let me know how it went.

Re: Few questions on Stella Linux 6.4 [message #1501 is a reply to message #1433] Fri, 11 October 2013 13:07 Go to previous message
WalterK is currently offline  WalterK
Stella 6.4 works just fine on my Lenovo X201 laptop, found the wireless chip okay and works with FIOS/wireless at home and intra-office lan/internet at my office through the network port. Laptop has a Seagate hybrid hard drive that is part SSD/part conventional that is much faster than the original drive that came with the laptop. Everything just works.

In the past, I have also installed various other linux distributions on other laptops (PCLINUXOS, Mandriva, Scientific Linux) and only had minor things that didn't work, but in the main, everything is good. I prefer Stella because of its stability and that multimedia ability is built in that doesn't require additional tweaking like Scientific Linux does to get it to work. (Scientific Linux is another RHEL Clone, very similar to CentOS that Stella is based on. It was developed by FERMI Labs/CERN, and is free and downloadable - your tax dollars actually produced some benefit).

Walt
Previous Topic: Laptop Fan jumps to 2400+ and then back 0 and so on.
Next Topic: A Great Distro
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Mar 27 00:09:30 GMT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01607 seconds