Nux!

Home » Stella » Report a problem or request a feature » Nautilus won't launch (Segfault)
Nautilus won't launch [message #1693] Tue, 04 February 2014 21:30 Go to next message
ongoto is currently offline  ongoto
Hello

After updating today, nautilus (file browser) wont start.
From a root terminal I get the following...
Quote:
$ dbus-launch nautilus
Initializing nautilus-gdu extension
Initializing nautilus-open-terminal extension
librsvg:ERROR:rsvg-base.c:2087:_rsvg_handle_allow_load: assertion failed: (handle->priv->load_policy == RSVG_LOAD_POLICY_STRICT)
Aborted

librsvg was one ot the updates.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 February 2014 21:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Nautilus won't launch [message #1694 is a reply to message #1693] Tue, 04 February 2014 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ongoto is currently offline  ongoto
Update:
Solved

I found a fix on the Centos forum:

$ yum downgrade librsvg2

Cheers
Re: Nautilus won't launch [message #1695 is a reply to message #1693] Wed, 05 February 2014 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Yeah, RH messed it up this time[1]. They issued an updated package to fix this, just "yum update" or install it directly from a mirror that has it, i.e.
yum install http://mirrors.coreix.net/centos/6/updates/x86_64/Packages/l ibrsvg2-2.26.0-6.el6_5.3.x86_64.rpm

[1] - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1061085
Re: Nautilus won't launch [message #1699 is a reply to message #1693] Wed, 05 February 2014 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brucknerian is currently offline  brucknerian
Hi

I guess I must have something like this problem. On launching Stella 6.5 all I get to is a normal desktop background with flashing "Computer" & "Home" icons but no top or bottom panels. I tried clicking on the link nux has provided above (mirrors.coreix.net etc) which asks me if I want to install the package. I guess this is what I should do but mine is a 32 bit system so all I get is an incompatibility message. I would really appreciate a step by step guide to get Stella working again! I see that "yum update" is also suggested but I don't know how to get to a terminal to do that.

I'm posting this from my other (Linux Mint) machine as I can't get anywhere with Stella on the other.

Thanks in advance

Charles
Re: Nautilus won't launch [message #1700 is a reply to message #1693] Wed, 05 February 2014 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Charles,

If you get to a non-working graphical interface, press ctrl+alt+f2 to get to a terminal. From there you should be able to run "yum update". Ctrl+f1 (or f6 or f7) to get back to the UI, although I'd recommend a reboot at this stage.

Here's a 32bit link http://mirror.bytemark.co.uk/centos/6/updates/i386/Packages/ librsvg2-2.26.0-6.el6_5.3.i686.rpm

[Updated on: Wed, 05 February 2014 13:41]

Re: Nautilus won't launch [message #1701 is a reply to message #1700] Wed, 05 February 2014 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brucknerian is currently offline  brucknerian
Many thanks Nux, I downloaded and installed the package which instantly solved the problem. I'm very happy again!

I would just appreciate some clarification on running "yum update" in case I need to do that in future. I got to a terminal as you suggested and then entered "yum update", as I expected it then reminded me I needed to be root to run that command. Drawing on my limited Linux Mint experience I then entered "sudo yum update" and was asked for my sudo password which I'm assuming is still the same as my normal login password. All I got back is the message "user name is not in sudoers file. This incident will be reported." Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Charles
Re: Nautilus won't launch [message #1702 is a reply to message #1693] Wed, 05 February 2014 16:37 Go to previous message
Administrator

Charles,

Only certain user and groups can access sudo. Traditionally RHEL/CentOS has not really used sudo that much, it's more of an Ubuntu thing, hence no pre-configuration.
Anyway, to allow yourself sudo powers, just add your user to the wheel group. Do this as root:
usermod -G wheel charles

And voila, you should be able to use sudo blah; it will require you to input your user password, of course.

[Updated on: Wed, 05 February 2014 16:38]

Previous Topic: Starting file manager after update
Next Topic: nvidia drivers VS kernel
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 17 13:13:18 BST 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03465 seconds