Nux!

Home » Stella » General chat » Will there be a Stella Linux based on CentOS 7? (Will there be a Stella Linux based on CentOS 7?)
Will there be a Stella Linux based on CentOS 7? [message #1885] Mon, 21 July 2014 12:26 Go to next message
pmux is currently offline  pmux
Hi Nux,

As stated earlier, I have been a happy camper with Stella Linux 6.

Are you planning to come out with Stella Linux based on CentOS 7?

I will be thankful if you could let me know.

I've been through the forums, but wasn't clear if you will be coming out with CentOS 7 based Stella.

Regards,
pmux
Re: Will there be a Stella Linux based on CentOS 7? [message #1886 is a reply to message #1885] Mon, 21 July 2014 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Hello,

I have not decided yet, but whether I do it or not, if you use CentOS + nux-dextop repo, you got 99% Stella. Smile
I will make an announcement when and if I'll build Stella 7.
Re: Will there be a Stella Linux based on CentOS 7? [message #1888 is a reply to message #1885] Mon, 21 July 2014 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pmux is currently offline  pmux
Hi Nux,

Thank you for replying.

So, I just install CentOS 7 and add the nux repo and I will be done?

Awesome.

Re: Will there be a Stella Linux based on CentOS 7? [message #1919 is a reply to message #1888] Wed, 23 July 2014 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bane is currently offline  bane
yes. almost.
- i've installed centos7 minimal
- add epel, nux-dextop and adobe repos.
- yum install xorg-x11-drv* xorg-x11-fonts* xterm lightdm
- yum groups install "mate desktop"
- ... and other stuff from nux-dextop

Re: Will there be a Stella Linux based on CentOS 7? [message #1921 is a reply to message #1885] Wed, 23 July 2014 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sfara is currently offline  sfara
Please make a centos 7 based stella !!! pretty please Smile
Re: Will there be a Stella Linux based on CentOS 7? [message #1927 is a reply to message #1885] Fri, 25 July 2014 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brucknerian is currently offline  brucknerian
As a simple non techie user of Stella 6.5 I don't pretend to understand the issues involved here but I have read Dedoimedo's review of CentOS 7. He rates it at 5.5/10 and includes comments like "I feel CentOS 7 has been rushed out to market too early, with less than its flawless and most stringent QA that used to be in the past. It comes with a few glaring problems that do not belong in a serious distro".

I may be misunderstanding things but might it not be a mistake to switch to a CentOS 7 based Stella at present?

Kind regards
Re: Will there be a Stella Linux based on CentOS 7? [message #1928 is a reply to message #1927] Fri, 25 July 2014 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
detipco is currently offline  detipco
brucknerian wrote on Fri, 25 July 2014 09:28

I may be misunderstanding things but might it not be a mistake to switch to a CentOS 7 based Stella at present?

Kind regards

You are so right. It might be a mistake, that is my meaning ,after days of testing. Shocked
Re: Will there be a Stella Linux based on CentOS 7? [message #1929 is a reply to message #1885] Fri, 25 July 2014 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dedoimedo review was what you get "out-of-the-box". and centos never be "out-of-the-box" distro. thats why stella is so great. as i already post with earlier, centos gnome, or centos minimal + mate desktop, + adobe, nux-dextop and epel repo and you'll get full functional desktop.

under the hood there's a lot changes compare to centos 6 but that's another story. "a bad one" if you ask me Smile

but for desktop usage eveything is full ok as i can see so far.

what's your expirience, detipco?

btw, stella is working great and i don't see any reason why to upgrade right now
Re: Will there be a Stella Linux based on CentOS 7? [message #1930 is a reply to message #1929] Fri, 25 July 2014 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bane wrote on Fri, 25 July 2014 13:39

under the hood there's a lot changes compare to centos 6 but that's another story. "a bad one" if you ask me Smile

btw, stella is working great and i don't see any reason why to upgrade right now

What happens under the hood ìs the problem for me.
I do not really need a system, which is working out-of-the-box.
Maybe I have tested most Distros and have getting them to work.

I need a failsafe System and after a long way I found STELLA Very Happy
Re: Will there be a Stella Linux based on CentOS 7? [message #1931 is a reply to message #1885] Fri, 25 July 2014 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
totally agreed
Re: Will there be a Stella Linux based on CentOS 7? [message #1932 is a reply to message #1885] Fri, 25 July 2014 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

I have not yet read Dedoimedo's review of EL7, but since it brings quite a few big changes compared to EL6 I expect many people will dislike it, for various (subjective and objective) reasons.
Having said that, the more I use Gnome3 the more I find bits and bobs that I don't like. I'm currently on MATE and as things stand if there is going to be a Stella 7 it's probably going to rely on MATE.

Stella 6 will continue to be supported, the bulk of updates will come from upstream, so people can just keep on using it for as long as they wish.
Re: Will there be a Stella Linux based on CentOS 7? [message #1934 is a reply to message #1885] Fri, 25 July 2014 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Ok, read his review; he's right for the most part, especially the installer which is not intuitive at all (though I can't understand why he is complaining about codecs when I had them available ever since RHEL7 was in BETA).
Re: Will there be a Stella Linux based on CentOS 7? [message #1938 is a reply to message #1934] Sat, 26 July 2014 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
agamennone is currently offline  agamennone
@nux
Consider the fact that over to CentOS there is also another arriving Linux distribution derived from RHEL sources: Scientific Linux. For now it is in Beta 1 version:
http://listserv.fnal.gov/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind1407&L=sci entific-linux-devel&T=0&P=5821

Scientific Linux is sponsored by Fermi Lab, you can find the Beta1 release at:
http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/7rolling/

[Updated on: Sat, 26 July 2014 18:13]

Report message to a moderator

icon12.gif  Re: Will there be a Stella Linux based on CentOS 7? [message #1939 is a reply to message #1938] Sat, 26 July 2014 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
@ gravanter

gravanter wrote on Sat, 26 July 2014 18:11

Consider the fact that over to CentOS there is also another arriving Linux distribution derived from RHEL sources: Scientific Linux. For now it is in Beta 1 version:

It is not a new one, hope you know it.

http://distrowatch.com/index.php?distribution=scientific
Re: Will there be a Stella Linux based on CentOS 7? [message #1940 is a reply to message #1938] Sun, 27 July 2014 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Hi Gravanter,

I am aware of SL, but for me it has almost always been buggier and less tested than CentOS, my hopes are not high.
Anyway, I think it's not impossible SL will also be merged with CentOS or something similar; the ex main developer is already a RedHat employee.
Re: Will there be a Stella Linux based on CentOS 7? [message #1941 is a reply to message #1885] Sun, 27 July 2014 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You are so right, Nux. Smile
MTP support in el/centos7 [message #2098 is a reply to message #1885] Thu, 07 August 2014 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scarface899T
hi nux & users,

i still have to boot into win7 to MTP into my android phones since i am not able to do it on stella 6.5.

will upgrading to centos7 finally give me the ability to MTP into my android?

if users don't like centos7, maybe it's not worth it and i'll continue to periodically boot into win7 to access my pictures in android phones...unless of course

there was a work around to getting mtp on stella 6.5, then i would surely stick with 6.5 until all the bugs are worked out in 7.

tia for any mtp info in 6.5
Re: Will there be a Stella Linux based on CentOS 7? [message #2100 is a reply to message #1885] Thu, 07 August 2014 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Hi,

I believe I tried backporting newer newer MTP support in a while back and it did not go well at all.
EL7 should have the support you seek. It's a shame good old usb storage no longer works for some of these devices..
Re: Will there be a Stella Linux based on CentOS 7? [message #2115 is a reply to message #1885] Fri, 08 August 2014 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scarface899T
thanks nux, but can you make any sense out of this? any point in attempting this or is it pointless and just wait til el7?

http://nuxref.com/2013/10/15/upgrading-the-mtp-support-on-ce ntos-6/comment-page-1/
Re: Will there be a Stella Linux based on CentOS 7? [message #2116 is a reply to message #1885] Fri, 08 August 2014 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Oh, that blog seems promising, but fiddly. I would try upgrading libmtp with their version and perhaps try out jmtpfs.
However it is possible you will get in trouble with yum who will complain some programs need the older libmtp ...

Don't forget you can always do "yum history list" and "yum history undo" if you run into problems. Smile
Re: Will there be a Stella Linux based on CentOS 7? [message #2171 is a reply to message #2116] Mon, 11 August 2014 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
caitlyn is currently offline  caitlyn
Any decision on a Stella 7.0 yet? I've already had a customer in my business that needs some of the new hardware support in RHEL 7 so I am migrating from 6.5 to 7.0 in my consulting business and on my personal systems to get used to the changes. I hate to say goodbye to Stella; it's been a very good and reliable desktop system for me.

BTW, Springdale Linux (formerly PUIAS Linux) already has a 32-bit build out. Springdale Linux 7.0 went final late last week. For those of you that don't know Sprindale, it's the oldest surviving EL clone, and has been around longer than either CentOS or Scientific Linux. The changed the name to Springdale to reflect and encourage increased community involvement outside of Princeton University, where the distro is developed.
Re: Will there be a Stella Linux based on CentOS 7? [message #2182 is a reply to message #1885] Tue, 12 August 2014 09:22 Go to previous message
Administrator

Caitlyn,

As I said in other posts, I am seeing quite a few bugs and issues and I'd rather wait for 7.1.

There is nothing stopping you from using CentOS 7 (or any other clone really) and my nux-dextop repo for extra programs, this is is essentially Stella without the artwork. Smile
Previous Topic: Merge Gnome 3 and Mate
Next Topic: Install Mate-Compiz el7 - No Gnome3
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Nov 13 19:36:16 GMT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.11479 seconds