Nux!

Home » Stella » Report a problem or request a feature » Bootloader assistance needed, please! (Stella installed on external hard drive. )
Bootloader assistance needed, please! [message #2382] Fri, 19 September 2014 13:56 Go to next message
cousinlucky is currently offline  cousinlucky
My greetings to everyone here. I just installed Stella 6.5 onto an external hard drive. During the installation the bootloader was supposed to go onto the internal hard drive of my computer, but it did not. I can set the bootloader now within my internal hard drive to add Stella at the start up, but being a computer illiterate, I do not know the settings that I need to use to do this. Can someone here please provide me with this information, please? Thank You!!
Re: Bootloader assistance needed, please! [message #2386 is a reply to message #2382] Fri, 19 September 2014 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
detipco is currently offline  detipco
Hi,
did you try that? > As root in a terminal > update-grub and then restart.
With a little luck it works.

Kind regards Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 19 September 2014 19:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Bootloader assistance needed, please! [message #2387 is a reply to message #2382] Fri, 19 September 2014 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stella is on the external hard drive and if I open the device icon I see the Stella files; but I want to use the operating system. How do I go about getting that accomplished?
Re: Bootloader assistance needed, please! [message #2388 is a reply to message #2387] Fri, 19 September 2014 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How do you see the grub from your internal hd and what OS is on your internal hd?
If there is an OS onto your internal hd, start it and do an update grub with your external hd plugged in.

Just tested it. I always prefer the easy way.
In your case of a computer illiterate is the easiest and fastest way to make a new install of Stella by unplugging all except your external hd and then Stella will install grub onto your external hd.
Don`t forget to tell your BIOS to be able to boot from it.
Don`t spend so much time in solving your issue and do it. Very Happy

[Updated on: Fri, 19 September 2014 22:11]

Re: Bootloader assistance needed, please! [message #2391 is a reply to message #2388] Sat, 20 September 2014 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I re-installed Stella6.5 onto my USB external hard drive. The Stella6.5 bootloader was also installed there. 9 items now display when I open it. Can anyone give me the steps needed to activate the bootloader? I do not have any idea what any of this stuff does!

9 items

1-efi - folder
2-grub - folder
3-config 2.6.32-431.el6.i686
4-elf-memtest86+4.10 ( purple square )
5-initramfs-2.6.33-431.el6.i686
6-memtest 86+-4.10
7-symvers-2.6.32-431.el6.i686.gz
8-system.map-2.6.32-431.el6.i686
9-vmlinuz-2.6.32-431.el6.i686
Re: Bootloader assistance needed, please! [message #2393 is a reply to message #2391] Sat, 20 September 2014 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,
don`t know what are you doing, but when Stella (or any other distro) is successfully installed onto your external hd with grub, you will be able to boot from it.
Turn on your system, press F11 and choose the disk you want to boot.
In your case you have to choose > boot from USB.
If it doesn`t work,maybe your BIOS isn`t able to boot from this medium.
I have tested it yesterday with Stella onto an external disk and it works.
OS onto an external hd is a bit slow, better is a bootable iso. Smile

Re: Bootloader assistance needed, please! [message #2394 is a reply to message #2393] Sun, 21 September 2014 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I pressed f11 and found a bunch of headings with a lot of listings in each. I'll go back and see if I can figure out where boot from USB is indicated. Thanks!!

I went to boot, hard drive priority, USB, f5 load, but it did not go there it went to the grub list on my internal hard drive.

[Updated on: Sun, 21 September 2014 07:31]

Re: Bootloader assistance needed, please! [message #2395 is a reply to message #2382] Sun, 21 September 2014 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Try to chroot into your existing installation, perhaps from a centos livecd and then install grub on the desired drive (fdisk -l should display your drives and partitions), e.g.
grub-install /dev/sdc

I'll try to make a video tutorial on how to rescue/reinstall grub once I'm back from my holidays.
Re: Bootloader assistance needed, please! [message #2396 is a reply to message #2394] Sun, 21 September 2014 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cousinlucky wrote on Sun, 21 September 2014 00:07
I pressed f11 and found a bunch of headings with a lot of listings in each. I'll go back and see if I can figure out where boot from USB is indicated. Thanks!!

I went to boot, hard drive priority, USB, f5 load, but it did not go there it went to the grub list on my internal hard drive.

If you chosse the right USB-drive and it won`t boot from it, there is a problem with the hd.
The hd normally has a partition index with mbr and there will be the bootloader grub installed.
In your case grub seems to be not correctly installed from Stella.
If you want, create a new partition index with parted magic onto your external hd and then try a new install as before.

You can also wait for nux video. Smile

Found this https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair and here you can download it http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair-cd/home/Home/

[Updated on: Sun, 21 September 2014 15:49]

Re: Bootloader assistance needed, please! [message #2397 is a reply to message #2396] Mon, 22 September 2014 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unfortunately, I discovered that Stella6.5 does not have a dial up connection for the internet so I can not use it. I really liked the way it looked!! Sad!! Thanks Greatly for the help!!
Re: Bootloader assistance needed, please! [message #2398 is a reply to message #2396] Tue, 23 September 2014 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ongoto is currently offline  ongoto
detipco wrote on Sun, 21 September 2014 03:11

Found this https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair and here you can download it http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair-cd/home/Home/

Quote:
As root in a terminal > update-grub and then restart.

Are these instructions for grub1 or grub2?

[Updated on: Wed, 24 September 2014 06:46]

Re: Bootloader assistance needed, please! [message #2405 is a reply to message #2398] Wed, 24 September 2014 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Embarrassed Scusa, andare via per un po '
Ciao Smile
Re: Bootloader assistance needed, please! [message #2406 is a reply to message #2405] Wed, 24 September 2014 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
@ detipco

Non andare via!!

No shame intended my friend. Mistakes happen. Smile
cousinlucky appreciates your help and that's what really matters.
We are all here to help each other and learn.

I wrote a big how-to not long ago and found out (too late) that all my brainy discoveries were already in the main menu, two clicks away. Embarrassed hahaha
I finally begged Nux to remove my mess so nobody would see it.

[Updated on: Wed, 24 September 2014 21:03]

Re: Bootloader assistance needed, please! [message #2413 is a reply to message #2397] Sun, 28 September 2014 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Which software exactly is missing from the image?
Re: Bootloader assistance needed, please! [message #2415 is a reply to message #2413] Mon, 29 September 2014 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux wrote on Sun, 28 September 2014 03:45
Which software exactly is missing from the image?

wvdial
Just a guess. Don't have dialup to test it.
Re: Bootloader assistance needed, please! [message #2419 is a reply to message #2415] Mon, 29 September 2014 10:42 Go to previous message
Administrator

Well, once he/she confirms I could add it to the image. I did not expect dial-up to still be a valid use case, but it looks like I was wrong.
Previous Topic: xorg-x11-resutils installation problem
Next Topic: Stella 6.5-5 -- fresh install
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 25 02:29:29 BST 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02088 seconds