Nux!

Home » Stella » General chat » Thank you. (Spam from admiring fans)
Thank you. [message #2426] Wed, 01 October 2014 20:02 Go to next message
mogga
The main Stella website states the following:

"Feel free to post in the forums if you have questions or comments."

I would like to say after years installing and tweaking CentOS, Fedora, Ubuntu, and Debian and always carefully adjusting the repos to get to a working, stable desktop... Stella is by far the easiest experience I've had to date. I generally shy away from Live image installs having been burnt a few times. This one just worked. Install was less than an hour, sound works, wifi works, all media works, wacom works, even flash is installed, so many things I've become accustomed to dealing with post-install just work. THANK YOU.

What I changed afterwards:

1) disabled NetworkManager and used network-scripts
- to be expected - this is a personal preference
2) increased open file limit
- I use software that needs alot of files open so set it 65536
3) disabled selinux and iptables (not a public facing machine)
- being lazy
4) installed python2.7
- easy to install and just works
- would benefit from having the yum fix built in so yum continues to use 2.6 without having to modify it's files manually
- could use a more streamlined approach to getting easy_install and pip working/relinked
5) installed clusterssh, htop, ntop, 7zip, unrar and others
6) built proprietary nvidia drivers for quadro card
7) lots of other use-case specific installs

So far everything is working without any issues. Best *nux experience to date.

Again, Thank you. Very Happy

Re: Thank you. [message #2427 is a reply to message #2426] Wed, 01 October 2014 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Hello and thanks for your kind words. Smile

A few notes:

3 - I've seen selinux usually works, doesn't get in the way much, at least not as bad as it did in EL5, might be worth keeping it active
4 - There is python2.7 in my repo, but maybe even more handy there is an SCL for it which will install in /opt (afaik) and might come in more handy for dev purposes: http://dev.centos.org/centos/6/SCL/x86_64/python27/
6 - usually the drivers from elrepo are good enough, no need to build manually, what does nvidia-detect recommend you install? You might need to "yum install nvidia-detect"
Re: Thank you. [message #2555 is a reply to message #2427] Sun, 19 October 2014 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mogga
disabling selinux is admittedly lazy - it'll get turned on again soon enough.

as for nvidia, the quadro drivers are proprietary and haven't been reverse engineered to my knowledge so to get the GL performance it's what's required unfortunately. On servers with non-quadro cards I use the kmod drivers because it's so much easier.

Can you post a kickstart file for the Stella live cd? It seems like a great kicking off point and I'd like to build a local repo around it for faster deployments.
Re: Thank you. [message #2557 is a reply to message #2427] Sun, 19 October 2014 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
schotty is currently offline  schotty
nux wrote on Wed, 01 October 2014 16:12
Hello and thanks for your kind words. Smile

3 - I've seen selinux usually works, doesn't get in the way much, at least not as bad as it did in EL5, might be worth keeping it active

Shudder. You made me remeber RHEL4. I am going to have nightmares again Very Happy SELinux on both and RPM on both were sadistic. Such a relief when RHEL6 dropped. Only a few machines I admin deal with either, and its because of the i686 extensions needed in RHEL6 that aren't present on the hardware used.

nux spaketh forthwhence

6 - usually the drivers from elrepo are good enough, no need to build manually, what does nvidia-detect recommend you install? You might need to "yum install nvidia-detect"

Yep. Why jerk around when you don't have to right?

[Updated on: Sun, 19 October 2014 21:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Thank you. [message #2559 is a reply to message #2557] Sun, 19 October 2014 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mogga
the quadro drivers have not been reverse engineered unfortunately... anything geforce is fine with the kmod drivers but those are consumer cards not quadro - it's an edge case but that's vfx
Re: Thank you. [message #2563 is a reply to message #2555] Mon, 20 October 2014 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Here's the ks I use for stella 6:
http://li.nux.ro/download/stella/6/ks/
Re: Thank you. [message #2566 is a reply to message #2559] Mon, 20 October 2014 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
schotty is currently offline  schotty
mogga wrote on Sun, 19 October 2014 15:26
the quadro drivers have not been reverse engineered unfortunately... anything geforce is fine with the kmod drivers but those are consumer cards not quadro - it's an edge case but that's vfx

I haven't bothered with nouveau in ages. It lasts as long as it takes me to install the NVIDIA one. And yes, they have kmods packages of them. For Fedora they are in rpmfusion, for EL they are in elrepo.

http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia

They have a driver detect utility that will figure out what chipset your card is, what driver line is most current for it, and install that.
Re: Thank you. [message #2575 is a reply to message #2426] Tue, 21 October 2014 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

The tool is called nvidia-detect, just run it and it will advise which package to install.
Re: Thank you. [message #2854 is a reply to message #2426] Fri, 26 December 2014 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SurlyBird is currently offline  SurlyBird
New Stella user and I, too, want to say thanks. Came over from Linux Mint (which I still like a lot). I have heard lots of great things about CentOS so I was curious. Plus there are few graphics programs that I want to use that are really designed for Fedora-based systems (you can use them on Debian and Ubuntu systems, but not without a bunch of hacks that don't always work). Dedoimedo's review of Stella made it sound like the best CentOS introduction, so I gave it a spin. Installation was a snap. Really, it was the best and easiest Linux installation/setup I've ever had. And it was rock-solid stable, super-easy to use and application performance was great. Consider me a convert!

Even though I was really happy with Stella, I couldn't resist taking a look at CentOS 7 KDE (again, also based on Dedoimedo's review - well, the review he posted after his initial review). KDE 5 Plasma is slick, but I don't think it's really all that functional. I guess you customize it your liking, but even after fiddling with it for hours, it still felt too over-blingy for my taste. But I admit it's pretty - very lollipop-ish. Another strike against Centos 7 was that I had some libpng dependencies with a tool I like to use (Topogun). And it seemed to not be able to keep my multi-display settings on restart - not a big deal, really, but annoying (not a problem with Stella). So, I took a look at Gnome 3. Didn't care for it either. After a few days of trying to sort it all out, I came to the conclusion that Stella 6.6 really was the best solution for my needs. Every application I need to run performs like a champ (better than on Win 7) and the Gnome 2 interface is perfect - it is easy on the eyes, fast and it gets out of the way.

So, keep up the good work, Nux! I'm curious about Stella 7 with a Mate flavor. I am a minimalist, for the most part and Mate seems to strike the right balance of looks and unobtrusiveness. I am sure the libpng problem I had with CentOS 7 KDE, will pop back up should I convert, so I'll probably stay with 6.6 for the indefinite future. But I'll definitely give Stella 7 a look when it comes out!

[Updated on: Fri, 26 December 2014 19:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Thank you. [message #2855 is a reply to message #2426] Fri, 26 December 2014 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Glad you like Stella. Version 7 might take a while more to come, am still waiting for the CentOS/MATE bits to mature a bit more.

What problem did you have with Topogun and libpng? Any errors? Please open a new thread for it, though.
Re: Thank you. [message #2856 is a reply to message #2426] Sat, 27 December 2014 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SurlyBird is currently offline  SurlyBird
No errors with Topogun and Stella. It runs great! In CentOS 7, I had to force-install the Topogun RPM because of incompatibility (probably not the wisest move). When I ran it, it immediately crashed. The error it returned pointed to problem with libpng. Topogun, which hasn't been updated for nearly 3 years as far as I can tell, has a depency on older version of libpng(libpng.so.3, I think), which appears to be older than what is used in CentOS 7. I tried maninpulating the symbolic link, hoping Topogun would accept the newer version, but I probably didn't do it right and whatever I did, didn't help. And since Topogun runs great in Stella, and I like Stella more than CentOS KDE, anyway, I just went back to Stella. I did contact the Topogun developer to let him know that it will be an issue for anyone who uses his program on CentOS 7 - but I don't know if he's putting in any effort into maintaing long-term Linux support for his tools.
Re: Thank you. [message #2858 is a reply to message #2426] Sat, 27 December 2014 02:30 Go to previous message
Administrator

Let me know how it goes with this Topogun, there are ways around these kind of problems, e.g. specifying different LD paths etc.

Previous Topic: Wuppertal
Next Topic: Not dead, just busier than hell
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Feb 20 19:45:42 GMT 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01594 seconds