Nux!

Home » Stella » General chat » My adventure in building packages (rpm.....)
My adventure in building packages [message #2619] Wed, 22 October 2014 13:39 Go to next message
detipco is currently offline  detipco
I`ve tried to build some packages, but I`m getting more and more nerved.
I`m searching for libs are used as dependence to get it running, but then I find out, that some of these libs are used for nothing. Rolling Eyes
(For example look here > https://forums.nux.ro/index.php?t=msg&th=444&start=0 &S=09b86e811283d4f0b79e4ab5aac87b06)
I`m lovin Linux, but building packages seems to be nothing for me.
Don`t know how many dependencies are unnecessary onto a Linux system.
Some people are trying to go another way http://nixos.org/ and it seems to be a good intention.

I am truly grateful for those guys doing this incredible support for amigos like me. Smile
Special thanks to nux helping us. Smile

Re: My adventure in building packages [message #2622 is a reply to message #2619] Wed, 22 October 2014 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Yeah, it takes a bit of patience to do this.. not for everyone. Sometimes I regret getting into it and having to support shit. Oops Very Happy
Re: My adventure in building packages [message #2626 is a reply to message #2622] Thu, 23 October 2014 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
detipco is currently offline  detipco
Thanks for you reply.
It`s better to support shit and beeing honest, than calling people stupid to do something.
All Linux users are having the same problem, but less talking about.
You are using an application for a long time, one day it crashes and will never run as before.
When you are asking about, most replies are , why do you use this and not another which is working. Very Happy
System changes, updates are coming and nothing is like before. Most users have to switch to another application.
You will know this issues, always trying to find a way to get something working and I will understand it very well.
Mediaplayers for example having many issues (Exaile > udisks, Totem > udisks , ...), so in most distros you have to use VLC.
Using a rolling release is never to know, if my system is running well next day and always checking your applications.
Yeah, but you are always having up to date apps. Very Happy These are distros for playing with and not working.
Working is always better with a stable release like Stella / CentOS. Smile

Re: My adventure in building packages [message #2630 is a reply to message #2619] Thu, 23 October 2014 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Yep, that's why I use it. I'm too old to run rolling release stuff. Smile
Re: My adventure in building packages [message #2639 is a reply to message #2619] Fri, 24 October 2014 22:18 Go to previous message
schotty is currently offline  schotty
detipco wrote on Wed, 22 October 2014 07:39
I`ve tried to build some packages, but I`m getting more and more nerved.
I`m searching for libs are used as dependence to get it running, but then I find out, that some of these libs are used for nothing. Rolling Eyes
(For example look here > https://forums.nux.ro/index.php?t=msg&th=444&start=0 &S=09b86e811283d4f0b79e4ab5aac87b06)
I`m lovin Linux, but building packages seems to be nothing for me.
Don`t know how many dependencies are unnecessary onto a Linux system.
Some people are trying to go another way http://nixos.org/ and it seems to be a good intention.

I am truly grateful for those guys doing this incredible support for amigos like me. Smile
Special thanks to nux helping us. Smile

Its not bad for one or two packages here or there. There are a few key things to keep in mind.

1)Learn mock. Its your best friend when it comes to packaging.
2)Unless you are a sadist (like I can get from time to time), build in a VM and test on a separate throwaway VM. Clean build machine, and a sacrificial lamb if need be.
3)Learn the joy of mock profiles. Makes dealing with dependencies from multiple sources alot easier. For example, you can easily take the stock Fedora or EPEL profile, and add in RPMFusion, ELRepo, etc into them and have it grab from each one for resolving dependencies. For distributing these packages, make sure to let others know what you depend on repo-wise.
4)Script it if you are lazy. Script it anyway. Once you figure out how to make one SRPM into a pile of RPMs, script it. And if you are sharing, why not make ones for all supported releases (IE, F19+F20, or EL6+EL7). Scripts can make that easy. Or if you prefer, add it into your profiles. So when you build an RPM, you are getting the most work for your efforts done.
5)Some packages just suck to build. Anything KDE or GNOME DE will be pain consummate. I would start with easier goals, like rebuilding something you already can get with your repo setup as of right now. Like .... xsane or something.

HTH,
Andrew.
Previous Topic: Updates
Next Topic: Update distrowatch page for Stella
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Mar 25 16:30:58 GMT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01142 seconds