Nux!

Home » Stella » General chat » General Help LINUX (Working around linux)
General Help LINUX [message #2781] Tue, 25 November 2014 17:00 Go to next message
gandalf is currently offline  gandalf
Hi,
I have successfully installed Stella6.6 without any issues and it looks beautiful Cool thank you for this
...as a newbie to linux...need some help figuring out stuff.
1. i have windows installed in an different hard drive, at startup i dont have options like to choose which to boot.
2. need help installing .tar.gz and .tgz softwares.
3. where to find softwares to install (like audio video player, covertor....etc.,

Thanks in advance
Re: General Help LINUX [message #2782 is a reply to message #2781] Wed, 26 November 2014 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Hi,

1. yeah, other OS are not automatically discovered (grub2 in CentOS7 will do this if you have ntfs-3g installed, but of course this is for the future Stella), you will need to manually add an entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst, smth like this if Windows is on the first partition on the first drive:

title windows
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1 

2. what exactly are you trying to install from tarball? perhaps we can package it in rpm

3. you should already have Totem installed, otherwise just open a terminal and "yum install vlc" or "mplayer" and so on, some of them may already be installed. What converter do you need, multimedia? There's HandBrake, VLC and ffmpeg who can do this job ...
Re: General Help LINUX [message #2784 is a reply to message #2782] Wed, 26 November 2014 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
detipco is currently offline  detipco
Quote:
2. need help installing .tar.gz and .tgz softwares.
3. where to find softwares to install (like audio video player, covertor....etc.,

@ gandalf
You are a newbie to linux and asking for installing tar.gz and .tgz., that makes me wonder. Rolling Eyes
Do you know that Stella is rpm-based?
You need general help linux, what does it mean for us?

@ nux
sorry for posting too, but`s a bit confusing.

[Updated on: Wed, 26 November 2014 09:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: General Help LINUX [message #2786 is a reply to message #2781] Wed, 26 November 2014 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
@nux
thanks for the reply.
1. i am unable to edit the menu.lst, and windows is in this hard drive "/dev/sda"
2. wanted to install nuke (for practice) which is in .tgz, when downloaded from nuke site.
3. installed vlc ..

@detipco
i really have no idea what actually .tar.gz or .tgz are Rolling Eyes , i thought they are something like .rar(for compression or archive),
general help would be learning the basic commands,

thank you
Re: General Help LINUX [message #2787 is a reply to message #2786] Wed, 26 November 2014 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
@ gandalf
Thanks for your reply. You are welcome. Smile
If you miss a package, please ask nux, if he can build it for you (us).
It is always better to install only from "our" repos.
To edit menu.ist or grub.cfg you will have to do it as root.
In a terminal open as su - gedit.
Your WIN is onto another hd, so you can boot it also from your BIOS at startup.

Friendly regards

[Updated on: Wed, 26 November 2014 19:07]

Re: General Help LINUX [message #2791 is a reply to message #2781] Thu, 27 November 2014 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the reply detipco..
i tried editing the menu.lst as said, opening "gedit" as root and inserted this command at the end...
title windows
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
but i get this in terminal
"(gedit:4087): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.ER8PPX': No such file or directory

(gedit:4087): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory
"

Yes i can boot to windows through BIOS, but its bit annoying, keep pressing F8, if i miss it...it boots windows and then again restart to get to STELLA...

and does that mean i cant install .tar.gz or .tzg

thanks.
Re: General Help LINUX [message #2792 is a reply to message #2791] Thu, 27 November 2014 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You will always get these warnings in terminal by opening guis, don`t worry about.
Did you save the file after editing? If you are not root, it`s not possible to change the menu.Ist.
yourname@localhost:~$ su -

In BIOS you are able to change the boot order of your hds, so Stella boots always first and if you need WIN press F8.
I`m doing it in the same way with five hds, because changing menu.Ist or grub.cfg is always dangerous.
Stella needs packages.rpm , because it`s a derivate of Red Hat / CentOS.

[Updated on: Thu, 27 November 2014 20:58]

Re: General Help LINUX [message #2794 is a reply to message #2781] Sat, 29 November 2014 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi depicto,
thanks for the reply, yup that worked fine, didnt think of it before....thank you very much for all the help... Smile

and please guide on how to install .rpm package...thanks

[Updated on: Sat, 29 November 2014 19:12]

Re: General Help LINUX [message #2796 is a reply to message #2781] Sat, 29 November 2014 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Gandalf,

Usually you'd just open a terminal and as root do "yum install something".
What's is that something that you want installed? If it's not in the repos yet, we could add it.
Re: General Help LINUX [message #2798 is a reply to message #2796] Sun, 30 November 2014 02:43 Go to previous message
.....or you can use yumex.

index.php?t=getfile&id=188&private=0

• Attachment: yumex.png
    (Size: 38.30KB, Downloaded 489 times)
Previous Topic: Stella 6.6
Next Topic: Stella Public Web Kiosk
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Feb 20 19:41:09 GMT 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02662 seconds