Nux!

Home » Stella » General chat » Looks like I am not leaving Linux after all (Only for Stella with Mate)
Looks like I am not leaving Linux after all [message #2886] Mon, 05 January 2015 01:24 Go to next message
Edge is currently offline  Edge
Hi Everyone,

I am new to Stella and in Linux 2 and half years. Mint (Ubuntu based) was my first Linux experience, but soon moved to LMDE, didn't work; tried Debian. Fedora, Manjaro and few others. It was Cent OS I spent last 2 years with. Best parts of Cent OS were Gnome 2, Codecs and of course stability, worse part were Pulling hairs to install any latest version of program due to my lack of rpm repo experience.

I tried some Desktop environments - only like gnome 2 as the best and xfce 2nd. it was mostly gnome 2 made me love Linux when started Cent OS 6.4. I like system upgrade whenever comes, but Cent OS 7 comes with Gnome 3 and KDE. while I don't have complain against other DE (neither prefer), however, I much prefer to sitting down with my cell phone than open desktop with Gnome 3 if there is nothing else to do.

Every thing I do on desktop, rarely use home folder and keep important things in external drive - many years of habit and i prefer it. Gnome 3 is the one pointed me for the first time - i am a happy desktop user and a functional desktop must come before Linux or windows OS choice. I was about to install again win 7 while I found only review of Stella at Dedoimedo. After read at this forum "By the looks of it looks like Stella 7 will feature MATE as its main DE" by Nux, I installed Stella. Not only feeling sorry for myself for pulling hairs last 2 years on Cent OS, but also found the best Linux distro. 2 weeks now, tested and installed some of the best Graphic and video editing programs Linux can offer.

I like to call Stella "The Hidden Jewel Of Linux". Stella is now my default desktop. Courage back - so testing Cent OS 7 with Mate (uninstalled most of Cell Phone interface components) to predict Stella 7 with mate. It is going to be the best Linux distro. Hope new Linux users will get news about it before leave Linux.

Thanks Nux for Stella. Without your and epel repo Cent OS 7 is now as good a dead for desktop users.
Re: Looks like I am not leaving Linux after all [message #2887 is a reply to message #2886] Mon, 05 January 2015 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Hi and thanks for your praise. Gnome 3 might get better in RHEL 7.2 when they'll upgrade it to a newer version, perhaps that will change your mind. Smile
Re: Looks like I am not leaving Linux after all [message #2888 is a reply to message #2887] Tue, 06 January 2015 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Edge is currently offline  Edge
Nux,

maintaining a good repo, stella and still quick response to forum - sure you are an extraordinary person; not praising this time but wandering.

"Gnome 3 might get better in RHEL 7.2" - if a usable fork come out like cinnamon then many users will welcome it. otherwise add/remove 1 or 2 things, or use/create more extensions wouldn't make desirable or worth a try. sure you already know what is coming with RHEL 7.2 so i will read reviews before try. besides after remove most gnome3 components centos7 feels very light & fast; hope mate developers continue their great work, and i am going to keep stella 6 for very long time, even after you bring stella 7 (will be stella 6 and 7 duel boot). thanks nux.
Re: Looks like I am not leaving Linux after all [message #2894 is a reply to message #2886] Fri, 09 January 2015 14:04 Go to previous message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

thanks for the kind words Smile
Previous Topic: Not dead, just busier than hell
Next Topic: Just a quick thank you
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 05:41:18 BST 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01038 seconds