Nux!

Home » Stella » Report a problem or request a feature » how to automount external hard drives (is there any way to automount external hard drives the way we automount usb (pen) drives? if yes, how?)
how to automount external hard drives [message #3141] Sun, 05 April 2015 18:49 Go to next message
mitu is currently offline  mitu
Currently I've to manually mount externally hard drives on my centos 7 home pc. How can we make centos 7 automount external hard drives the way it automount usb drives?
Re: how to automount external hard drives [message #3143 is a reply to message #3141] Mon, 06 April 2015 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Mitu,

Usually I just see them listed in Nautilus or Caja, I can click on them, input my password and can use them.
Of course, if they have a filesystem with ownership and permissions (your FAT32 sticks do not) you may need to operate as root etc.
Re: how to automount external hard drives [message #3144 is a reply to message #3143] Mon, 06 April 2015 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi nux, great that you dropped by.

i'm on centos 7 kde, so dolphin file manager. also most of the external hard drives i use are ntfs formatted, and range from 500GB to 2TB.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 April 2015 09:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: how to automount external hard drives [message #3145 is a reply to message #3144] Mon, 06 April 2015 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
detipco is currently offline  detipco
Hi Mitu,
try "autofs", here is a good discription http://linuxconfig.org/automatically-mount-usb-external-driv e-with-autofs
Maybe you have to change the permissions in /lib/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules (default is 664) to 666 in line 37.
Be careful with changes in fstab. CentOS 7 won`t boot anymore with those manually entries, happened to me a few time ago.

[solved]Re: how to automount external hard drives [message #3146 is a reply to message #3145] Mon, 06 April 2015 17:26 Go to previous message
Thanks Detipco,

Autofs solved. Moreover, I did not have to play with udev rules. Installation of autofs and a reboot did the trick.
Previous Topic: can't configure mobile broadband
Next Topic: how to get rid of the entire kdepim stack
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 21 03:24:09 GMT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03294 seconds