Nux!

Home » Repos » General chat » Spyder / PyQt4 inkl. Webkit with Python3 (How to ruin your day with installing Spyder with Python3)
Spyder / PyQt4 inkl. Webkit with Python3 [message #3161] Wed, 15 April 2015 21:50 Go to next message
davrot is currently offline  davrot
Hi,

I have some users who are lusting for python3. I thought that this would be easy going. I just installed python3 from the nux repo and everything was fine. Smile
But then I realized that I also need to install the spypder IDE too. Installing spyder is very simple:
/usr/bin/pip3.3 install spyder
At least that was what I thought... It installs but it needs PyQt4 or PySide with Webkit to run. I was able to compile PyQt4 as well as PySide but both only without Webkit. PyQt5 compiles with WebKit but is rejected by spyder.

Has somebody an idea how to compile PyQt4 under Python3 with fulfilling the dependencies from SL6/epel/nux repos and without compiling the whole Qt4 from source? There must be some trick or special path parameter that I have missed. Thanks!

@nux: Thank you for the brilliant repo. It helps me a lot in maintaining all my SL7 installations.

best wishes
David
Re: Spyder / PyQt4 inkl. Webkit with Python3 [message #3162 is a reply to message #3161] Thu, 16 April 2015 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Hi,

That sounds like a world of pain. You're in for a lot of compiling ...
My approach to this nowadays is just install docker and run a container with a distro with full support for python3 (fedora?).

Thanks for your kind words.
Re: Spyder / PyQt4 inkl. Webkit with Python3 [message #3165 is a reply to message #3162] Thu, 23 April 2015 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davrot is currently offline  davrot
Hi Nux,

thanks!

Based on your suggestion I looked into the docker approach. Works nicely. At least until I checked the security aspect. Cool

All unprivileged users who can start docker containers are able to access/modify the WHOLE filesystem. Shocked Ouch!

I am not the only one who ran into this little feature:
http://reventlov.com/advisories/using-the-docker-command-to- root-the-host

best wishes
David
Re: Spyder / PyQt4 inkl. Webkit with Python3 [message #3168 is a reply to message #3161] Fri, 24 April 2015 18:20 Go to previous message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Oh, I thought you only need this for yourself (i.e. not multi-user).
In this case not sure what to advise ... perhaps another distro altogether?
Previous Topic: Package removals from EPEL
Next Topic: MythTV
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 16 16:18:52 BST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00618 seconds