Nux!

Home » Repos » Report a problem or request a package » grub-customizer (CentOS 7)
icon4.gif  grub-customizer [message #3264] Sat, 08 August 2015 10:32 Go to next message
detipco is currently offline  detipco
Hi,
maybe some guys wanna use a graphical interface to configure the grub settings. Don`t do that! Why? I will tell you.
I`ve tested grub-customizer (never used it before) and next boot I got an error.
Grub2 cannot find the file grubenv.
The grub-customizer has changed the file, wich was now linked to grubenv in the folder /boot/efi.
I erased the file in /boot/grub2 and copied the file from /boot/efi into /boot/grub2.
Next boot a new file was generated with the right saved-entry and all works fine as before.
Seems to be a misbehavior with grub2-mkconfig.

Have a nice day, detipco Smile

Re: grub-customizer [message #3362 is a reply to message #3264] Wed, 11 November 2015 19:35 Go to previous message
Edge is currently offline  Edge
Hi detipco,

I'm using grub-customizer since Linux Mint 14 (Mint 13 was my first Linux - duel boot with Win 7); I installed grub-customizer in CentOS 7 too. with every kernel updates it shows new entry then I edit menus for custom name with grub-customizer again. I am not a command-line guy at all, grub-customizer is the only way I can manage multiple systems. as far I find: every time I edit menu entries font doesn't remain as I set - so every time I need to set font again too, beside that grub-customizer unable to set wallpaper for boot screen either. Other then that it works. Bad experience was with grub-customizer in Manjaro: used for few weeks Manjaro 0.8.8 then system got updated - screwed everything,(I fixed grub with linux mint installation disk), then I found some other programs also were not working in Manjaro - I quit rolling release system since then; (Manjaro is very good if some one prefers rolling release system).

Here what I do: after install grub-customizer I run two commands as root: 1) fdisk -l, 2) blkid, then I open grub-customizer, and if Install any system (in any partition) - I run those commands again before open grub-customizer. it is a helpful program for Graphical Users. I keep Mint installed partition and disk handy: only with two lines of command it fixes boot/grub (other than that I don't really use mint any more). If you like give it a another chance.

.....Edge

Edit: forgot to mention - two commands only needed if there is/are any other system(s) in machine with higher Kernel. In my case, beside CentOS I have Stella 6.5 and Mint 17. CentOS 7 recognises Stella but not Mint 17. grub-customizer doesn't check any partition - it only takes info from Grub in current system that you've installed grub-customizer. In Mint I have grub-customizer too, but I am using grub-customizer installed in CentOS.

[Updated on: Fri, 13 November 2015 16:20]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: [REQUEST] Samba PAM Module
Next Topic: Package request: Net Activity Viewer & Service applet
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 25 08:31:24 BST 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00898 seconds