Nux!

Home » Stella » Howtos, tips & tricks » Stella's Cosmos folder and theme (Cosmos theme from Stella to CentOS)
Stella's Cosmos folder and theme [message #3444] Sun, 27 December 2015 10:43 Go to next message
accessgranted is currently offline  accessgranted
Hi guys, hope everybody is doing fine. First post around here, I'm glad to be part of the Stella'r system. A special mention of course to Nux, without whose repos I simply wouldn't be on any CentOS-based computer.

I'm currently running Stella on an old Centrino 32bit Toshiba laptop, with amazing success. It literally resuscitated my machine and my interest in it (sound on that one is amazing).
I'm also running Stella x64 on my main quad-core desktop, with very nice results also.

On a Toshiba i7 laptop of a friend of mine, I also installed Stella x64, but there he experiences tearing issues when playing vids on VLC. So I tried and installed CentOS7 on that laptop to see if similar problems do occur, and it runs fine provided I add
CLUTTER_PAINT=disable-clipped-redraws:disable-culling
CLUTTER_VBLANK=True
in
/etc/environment
(That solution does not work for Stella in the mentioned configuration, BTW.)

To make a long story short, he'd like to have on CentOS7 the same Stella's Cosmos desktop background theme with changing views. But I can't find a way to implement the changing of views. After copy/pasting the Cosmos folder in the Pictures folder, pointing desktop background to the xml file leaves a non-illustrated desktop, while pointing at one or the other of the pictures contained in the Cosmos folder does not roll from one view to the other over time.

Any simple way to manage to do that?

Thanks in advance.

[Updated on: Sun, 27 December 2015 11:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Stella's Cosmos folder and theme [message #3445 is a reply to message #3444] Sun, 27 December 2015 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Hi,

Are you using MATE or Gnome3?
Re: Stella's Cosmos folder and theme [message #3449 is a reply to message #3445] Mon, 28 December 2015 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi; the Gnome3 version
Re: Stella's Cosmos folder and theme [message #3451 is a reply to message #3444] Mon, 28 December 2015 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

I am not sure you can simply copy these between gnome2 and gnome3. Perhaps it might work between Gnome2 and MATE.
I'd search the interwebs some more for multi-wallpapers or dynamic wallpapers, whatever they are called.
Re: Stella's Cosmos folder and theme [message #3452 is a reply to message #3451] Mon, 28 December 2015 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, I'll do that.
On a side note, default CentOS is Gnome3, or am I missing out on something?
Do they propose a Mate version at download, or is it some after-install additional tweak to go from G3 to Mate?
Does Mate break anything when added to Stella6.7 or CentOS7x?
Re: Stella's Cosmos folder and theme [message #3456 is a reply to message #3444] Tue, 29 December 2015 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

MATE is a fork of Gnome2 (what you have in CentOS/Stella 6, if you run this already then you don't need MATE).
It needs to be installed after CentOS 7 install, the packages are in EPEL:

yum -y install epel-release
yum groupinstall "MATE Desktop"

It should not break anything in your installation, MATE option will be available in GDM login manager.
icon14.gif  Re: Stella's Cosmos folder and theme [message #3460 is a reply to message #3456] Tue, 29 December 2015 20:12 Go to previous message
Thanks, gonna try that right away.

Cheers
Previous Topic: Dependency failed for pNFS block layout mapping daemon
Next Topic: Upgrade
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 18 10:01:49 BST 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01525 seconds