Nux!

Home » Stella » Report a problem or request a feature » Stella DVD Boot with EFI Enabled BIOS Fails (Boot of Stella 32 or 64 bit versions fails on EFI enabled BIOS)
Stella DVD Boot with EFI Enabled BIOS Fails [message #3494] Thu, 14 January 2016 22:33 Go to next message
Steve Willoughby is currently offline  Steve Willoughby
When Stella is booted on an EFI enabled BIOS which has EFI priority over Legacy, the boot fails because grub cannot find the kernel or initrd. The problem stems from an error in the EFI grub config file. The path on the DVD to the EFI boot files is /EFI/BOOT but the grub.conf uses the path /EFI/boot as shown below for the 32 bit 6.7 DVD:

default=0
splashimage=/EFI/BOOT/splash.xpm.gz
timeout 10
hiddenmenu

title Stella6.7_i386.1
kernel /EFI/boot/vmlinuz0 root=live:LABEL=Stella6.7_i386.1 rootfstype=auto ro liveimg quiet rhgb
initrd /EFI/boot/initrd0.img
title Verify and Boot Stella6.7_i386.1
kernel /EFI/boot/vmlinuz0 root=live:LABEL=Stella6.7_i386.1 rootfstype=auto ro liveimg quiet rhgb check
initrd /EFI/boot/initrd0.img

Funny that the splash image has the correct path.

The work-around until the DVD images can be fixed is to press tab as soon as the splash screen appears and before grub actually starts the boot process and edit the kernel and initrd lines to change boot to BOOT as needed and then boot.

Although I am unsure of what part they play in the boot process, there are additional files in the directory that seem to have similar format to grub.conf files that also have mixed BOOT-boot in their paths: BOOT.conf and BOOTIA32.conf on 32 bit and BOOTX64.conf on 64 bit. These probably need to be fixed as well.

I looked at a few previous versions and those had the problem as well. Funny that this is only now showing up. Guess not many Linux users have an EFI BIOS with EFI having priority over Legacy.

Can anyone provide links to details of the EFI boot process and the boot disk layout for the EFI part of the boot?

[Updated on: Fri, 15 January 2016 20:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Stella DVD Boot with EFI Enabled BIOS Fails [message #3497 is a reply to message #3494] Sun, 17 January 2016 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Thanks Steve, I'll keep it in mind for when I build the ISOs again.

Stella has a very small user base, hence I don't think there are many who use UEFI (I don't); more curious is that the CentOS ISO should have the same issue, wonder if that's the case and anyone noticed. Smile
Re: Stella DVD Boot with EFI Enabled BIOS Fails [message #3498 is a reply to message #3497] Tue, 19 January 2016 22:40 Go to previous message
Steve Willoughby is currently offline  Steve Willoughby
I think I looked at the CentOS DVDs and they had the problem. I suspect this is also in the RHEL DVDs as well. I ran into the problem trying to use the Stella DVD to work on my laptop which has the EFI enabled BIOS even though it was a windows 7 OS. This will be a major problem when people start trying to use hardware with the EFI BIOS - some windows 7 and everything windows 8 and later.
Previous Topic: Please do not package pidgin
Next Topic: VLC - No MP3 Tags
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 17 20:38:54 BST 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01050 seconds