Nux!

Home » Repos » Report a problem or request a package » gnome-commander page 2 (A bit of a summary)
gnome-commander page 2 [message #3793] Sun, 26 February 2017 21:09 Go to next message
Ken is currently offline  Ken
Please allow me to apologise in advance for starting a new thread on the gnome-commander topic. I am afraid I filled the first one with documentation of my fumbling attempts to install it on CentOS 7. My sincere thanks to Lucian for providing the gnome-commander 1.6.2 RPM and the key command to make it work. If I may summarize...

The package provided here http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/tmp/gnome-commander7/ installs without error on CentOS 7.3 with Gnome3 or Mate as the desktop

IF a previous version of gnome-commander was installed it may be necessary to run this command as root AFTER installing the 1.6.2 package
glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas

I have been in contact with the maintainer of gnome-commander Uwe Sholz as I attempted to build the package myself and as I have been working with the nux package. I would like to share, with Uwe's permission, his recent communication with me.

Quote:

I have investigated a bit more and found out the following:

When I run ".configure && make && make install" in the source package of Gnome Gommander I see the following lines at the bottom of the make install step:

if test -n
"org.gnome.gnome-commander.gschema.xml
org.gnome.gnome-commander.enums.xml"; then \ test -z
"/usr/local/share/glib-2.0/schemas" || /bin/mkdir -p
"/usr/local/share/glib-2.0/schemas"; \ /usr/bin/install -c -m 644
org.gnome.gnome-commander.gschema.xml
org.gnome.gnome-commander.enums.xml
"/usr/local/share/glib-2.0/schemas"; \ test -n "" ||
glib-compile-schemas /usr/local/share/glib-2.0/schemas;
fi

This means that when doing a manual source installation, the schema files are installed in /usr/local/share/glib-2.0/schemas, other than in a binary installation via rpm or something similar. In this case, files are installed to /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas. I think the command "glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas" still has to be run in the latter case.

My conclusion is that the package maintainer is responsible for having the glib-compile-schemas command executed.

In a German Ubuntu forum it was said that this command is always executed after the installation of a gnome package. Although there was no evidence given for that, I believe that they implemented a kind of a install hook for gnome packages which runs this compile schema command.

I saw that you asked for the addition of the glib-compile-schemas command in the building RPMS in the thread you opened on forums.nux.ro. This is great! I'm very excited what will be the outcome of it.

If you could add the glib-compile-schemas command to the nux package - I have no idea how to do that but I understand that it is possible - the package would be PERFECT.

Thank you again,

Ken Taylor
Re: gnome-commander page 2 [message #3794 is a reply to message #3793] Mon, 27 February 2017 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Hello,

I've added that command to the rpm (in %posttrans) and added the package to my main repo.
Thanks for your contribution.

Re: gnome-commander page 2 [message #3795 is a reply to message #3794] Mon, 27 February 2017 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ken is currently offline  Ken
Thank YOU!

I have tested the following scenarios using my normal environment - CentOS 7 + X Windows system + mate-desktop with CentOS Base (priority 1), epel (priority 10) and nux-dextop (priority 20) repos configured.

1 - yum install gnome-commander on a machine which never had gnome-commander. Works!
2 - yum erase gnome-commander to remove 1.4.4 then yum install gnome-commander. Works!
3 - yum update on a machine with gnome-commander 1.4.4 installed. Works!

Three out of three. That is 100% by my math Very Happy WONDERFUL!

I would like to add that the gnome-commander maintainer, Uwe Sholz, this morning announced to the gnome-commander mailing lists that he just released a change 1.6.3. However, it is I think primarily of importance to someone wishing to build gnome-commander locally. I will allow you to decide if you need to update your package. I have added his announcement below.

Again my most hearty thanks!

Ken

from the gnome-comander mailing lists

Quote:

Hi,

as discussed recently in gcmd-devel, I wanted to release a small
bugfix concerning (lib)uniqe. I did this some minutes ago.

Here are the changes:

Bug fixes:
----------

Bug fixes:
* libunique (sometimes called only 'unique') is now optional via
configure option (--without-unique). If the library is missing on
your system, Gcmd can still be build.

New or updated translations:
----------------------------
* cs (Marek Černocký)
* de (Mario Blättermann)
* es (Daniel Mustieles)

New or updated docs:
--------------------
* cs (Marek Černocký)
* es (Daniel Mustieles)
* pl (Piotr Drąg)
* pt_BR (Rafael Fontenelle)
* ru (Stas Solovey)
* sr (Мирослав Николић)
* sr@latin (Мирослав Николић)

The new release can be downloaded from:

https://download.gnome.org/sources/gnome-commander/1.6/gnome -commander-1.6.3.tar.xz

Best wishes
Uwe
Re: gnome-commander page 2 [message #3796 is a reply to message #3793] Tue, 28 February 2017 10:54 Go to previous message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

You're welcome.

Doesn't look like 1.6.3 is needed.
Previous Topic: gnome-commander
Next Topic: el7 murmur issue
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Nov 15 17:38:29 GMT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05658 seconds