Nux!

Home » Repos » Report a problem or request a package » [Request] volumeicon (volume icon applet CentOS 7.3 (1611))
[Request] volumeicon [message #3907] Sat, 16 September 2017 13:14 Go to next message
doflamingo is currently offline  doflamingo
Hi, nux. I already familiar with volumeicon in Debian. When I use FluxBox, This applet is must have. I successfully build this small app in CentOS 7. But it would be nice if it's available in repo. The best result for me is v0.5.1 (latest), I tried 0.4.6 (same version as in Debian) and it's buggy in CentOS 7.

Name: Volume Icon

Description: Volume Icon aims to be a lightweight volume control that sits in your systray. It is often used in conjuction with the lightweight tint2 panel/taskbar.

Features:
* Change volume by scrolling on the systray icon
* Ability to choose which channel to control
* Several icon themes (with gtk theme as default)
* Configurable external mixer
* Volume Slider
* Hotkey support

URL: http://nullwise.com/volumeicon.html

Thanks!
Re: [Request] volumeicon [message #3908 is a reply to message #3907] Sun, 17 September 2017 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Hello,

I've added 0.4.6 from Fedora, can you give it a try and check whether it's as buggy as yours or not?
Re: [Request] volumeicon [message #3909 is a reply to message #3908] Mon, 18 September 2017 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, still 'buggy'. 0.4.6 needs pulseaudio to start first. If I run volumeicon before pulseaudio:
$ volumeicon
ALSA lib control.c:954:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL HDA Intel
volumeicon: alsa_backend.c:86: asound_get_volume: Assertion `m_elem != ((void *)0)' failed.
Aborted

I have pulseaudio-module-jack, but I can't run pulseaudio before jackd. unlike in Debian, pulseaudio in CentOS can't request jackd to start if not started. (pulseaudio bug?)

So I put jackd in startup and luckily pulseaudio will autospawn / start later if I hit play in media player.

volumeicon 0.5.1 can start even I don't have pulseaudio in startup. Altough it has minor feature problem for me: Left click I expect It to show slider, OK.. Left click again mute but it's not.
Re: [Request] volumeicon [message #3910 is a reply to message #3907] Mon, 18 September 2017 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

To me this looks more like an issue with your specific use. I have installed it and it works just fine here (MATE desktop starts pulseaudio automatically).
Wouldn't it make a bit more sense to - before launching volumeicon, just start pulseaudio?
Re: [Request] volumeicon [message #3911 is a reply to message #3907] Mon, 18 September 2017 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I want jackd as default sound server, see my post here: https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=63969

Because I use jackd module for pulseaudio, pulseaudio won't start.. (again, in CentOS, not in Debian)

I need to run jackd first..

I put all at startup (FluxBox)
jackd -dalsa -r44100 &
pulseaudio &
volumeicon &

I think It will run jackd, then pulseaudio, then volumeicon.. But volumeicon even pulseaudio won't start. I must type pulseaudio, volumeicon manually just to display speaker icon in systray.
Re: [Request] volumeicon [message #3912 is a reply to message #3907] Tue, 19 September 2017 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Hello,

Fair enough, I've upgraded it to 0.5.1. Let me know if you see any problems with it.
Re: [Request] volumeicon [message #3913 is a reply to message #3907] Thu, 21 September 2017 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great!

It works now.

Can you patch/fix, when Left Mouse setting is in "Show Slider", enable the Mute/Unmute feature. But It's not urgent. Smile
Re: [Request] volumeicon [message #3917 is a reply to message #3907] Wed, 27 September 2017 13:51 Go to previous message
Administrator

Do you have any idea how to do that?
Previous Topic: Darktable
Next Topic: Problem with LMMS and VST
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 17:03:47 BST 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01429 seconds