Nux!

Home » Repos » Report a problem or request a package » [REQUEST] Updated Firefox (Recent Firefox builds for EL7)
[REQUEST] Updated Firefox [message #3970] Sun, 04 February 2018 03:43 Go to next message
beefy1986 is currently offline  beefy1986
I've recently started using EL7 on several of my desktop systems. I thought it would be nice to have a recent Firefox available without having to unzip from the binary on mozilla.org. I created a Copr repo and hacked together some backports of various packages to get things working. Unfortunately, this required backporting NSPR, NSS, LLVM+Clang, libvpx, and even some of the gstreamer plugin packages (they depended on an older libvpx). To make matters worse, a lot of those backports also needed i686 builds because they're available as multilib in Base/EPEL. But Copr doesn't support EPEL7-i686 builds, so I had to rebuild those locally myself using Mock (BTW, mock doesn't provide an EL7 i686 profile, so you have to make one yourself... ugh).

So now I've got Firefox 58.0.4 (the latest available at this moment) on EL7. You can find the Copr repo here...

hxxps://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/jpsutton/firefox/

I can't upload the i686 (multilib) dependency builds there, but I thought you might want to include these things in Nux. Most of these builds were pretty straight-forward tweaks to the spec files for differences in package names (python3 -> python34, cmake -> cmake3, etc), however, I did do some slightly hackish things, like disabling the -doc package builds for (I think) the gstreamer plugin packages. There might have been a better way to solve that problem, but I didn't care about doc packages.

The SRPMs are availble from Copr.
Re: [REQUEST] Updated Firefox [message #3971 is a reply to message #3970] Sun, 04 February 2018 20:26 Go to previous message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Hi,

That's quite an effort, well done.

I unfortunately cannot include those in my repo, as by the sound of it they replace Base/EPEL packages and that's against my principles.

I am sure building Ff is greatly educative, but I personally do not think it's worth the effort. If you download and unzip the official Mozilla tarball, then you have a product that works nicely out of the box and will update itself automatically, therefore not relying on repos and packagers. This is how I am using Ff today and can't really complain.

Hope you're not too disappointed.
Previous Topic: dependency issues
Next Topic: Gnome-commander 1.8.0
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 13:16:48 BST 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01459 seconds