Nux!

Home » Repos » Report a problem or request a package » Can't release gnome-shell blank screen with mouse movement (Centos 7: can't release gnome-shell blank screen with mouse movement)
Can't release gnome-shell blank screen with mouse movement [message #2027] Tue, 05 August 2014 03:43 Go to next message
mitu is currently offline  mitu
Hi,

Would anybody please guide me how to release gnome-shell blank screen with mouse movement?

On my Centos 7, when the screen goes blank after some minutes of inactivity, the blank screen doesn't release by mouse movement. Any key impression on the keyboard brings my desktop live. In gnome 2 world it's not so. Please suggest me any tweaks/workarounds to release the blank screen with mouse movement.
Re: Can't release gnome-shell blank screen with mouse movement [message #2032 is a reply to message #2027] Tue, 05 August 2014 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nux is currently offline  nux
Administrator

Looks like a bug, I guess.
Perhaps try disabling it and use xscreensaver instead (just added it to the repo).
e.g. http://earlruby.org/2011/10/work-around-for-a-locked-up-gnom e-3-screen-saver-in-ubuntu-11-10/
Re: Can't release gnome-shell blank screen with mouse movement [message #2050 is a reply to message #2032] Wed, 06 August 2014 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Nux!

But the issue is quite different on my desktop than the link you pointed me.

#1 I don't have gnome-screensaver running on my desktop. Generally I remove any screensaver. Right now what I've is just a screen blanker.
#2 I never have reboot my desktop when the screen goes blank after minutes of system idleness. It's a normal behavior. But the problem is the screen blanker doesn't respond to (doesn't release) mouse movement. If I press any key, the blank screen is released, and I'm back on the desktop. I actually want the screen blanker to respond to mouse movements too.
#3 I could have installed xscreensaver, but I prefer a screen blanker to a screensaver.
Re: Can't release gnome-shell blank screen with mouse movement [message #2056 is a reply to message #2027] Wed, 06 August 2014 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

Mitu,

Roger that. Sounds like a Gnome3 bug to me. Not sure what to advise, as I am not using Gnome3 or GDM.
Re: Can't release gnome-shell blank screen with mouse movement [message #2062 is a reply to message #2056] Wed, 06 August 2014 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok... let's wait and see. hope someone from the centos community will come up with a fix.
anyways, thanks for the prompt reply.
Re: Can't release gnome-shell blank screen with mouse movement [message #2066 is a reply to message #2027] Wed, 06 August 2014 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator

It might be worth taking this to the centos forums as well, perhaps you're not the first/only one who has hit this issue.
Re: Can't release gnome-shell blank screen with mouse movement [message #2068 is a reply to message #2027] Wed, 06 August 2014 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ongoto is currently offline  ongoto
It's a mystery Sad
Try
$ cat /proc/acpi/wakeup

Then do
$ lspci

Maybe you can figure out if your mouse is disabled or not
Also try plugging your mouse into a different usb port (if you have a usb mouse)

This link might help
http://blog.abhijeetr.com/2010/03/disable-wakeup-through-mou se-ps2-on.html

Re: Can't release gnome-shell blank screen with mouse movement [message #2070 is a reply to message #2068] Wed, 06 August 2014 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's not a big problem, i can live with it. but once again it reminds me "why linux is non-existent" on desktop. if centos is like this then i've no hope. how could such a fundamental mistake slip away? or how the gnome developers sell it as a feature whereas it's a bug? i'm sure the big bro RH won't listen to it. the final thing is i've to live it with.

ps: there're several such issues, but nobody really cares. a big sigh!

[Updated on: Wed, 06 August 2014 17:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Can't release gnome-shell blank screen with mouse movement [message #2074 is a reply to message #2027] Wed, 06 August 2014 18:28 Go to previous message
Administrator

Mitu,

I understand your frustration. Perhaps this issue will be addressed in some update or at least some workaround.
Would you please open a redhat bugzilla issue for this? It's unlikely it'll get fixed if ppl don't complain.
Previous Topic: [solved] Yumex el7
Next Topic: Pkg Request el7
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Dec 09 23:05:13 GMT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.06530 seconds