Nux!

Home » Stella » General chat » Stella Public Web Kiosk
Stella Public Web Kiosk [message #512] Fri, 19 October 2012 10:27 Go to previous message
D8TA is currently offline  D8TA
I am coming from openSUSE where I used SUSE Studio to build a custom install of openSUSE where only the necessary packages are installed. In this case the kernel, Gnome Desktop, Printing, and Web Browser (Firefox). I believe that is all I have installed. I wanted a very slim OS to place on 15 PCs that I have for general web surfing.

Once I built the image up and had everything customized, locked down desktop so users could not change anything I used Symantec Ghost to ghost the HDD. Using ext3 Ghost works. I don't need LVM and just created a boot, swap, and / partition for these systems. Users are unable to save anything to the local drives. Once the image is dropped down on a new PC openSUSE has the ability to customize the first-boot which I then setup the time, networking, root password and all that good stuff. I also have a package called patch to email which is a cron job that checks the openSUSE update repos for updates and sends me an email regarding what updates are available. This is setup to run weekly in cron.

I discovered Stella and have been running it on my notebook for about 2 months now and want to try and replace my openSUSE Kiosk PCs with this distro. Is there a similiar way for me to do all this with Stella? Slimmed down with just the necessary applications, the ability to print and surf web pages? If I use ext3 partitions I know Ghost will work but couldn't find anything regarding customizing the first boot. Or is there a better method to accomplish what I am wanting to do with this locked down, single user, kiosk web browsing PC?

I believe that sums up what I am looking to do. I really love that everything I have tried to play or do with Stella just worked! Great distro and keep up the good work and most importantly...Thanks!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message